What's the idea behind propagators

In summary: The point is that the free vacuum is not a physical state, so it does not appear in any S-matrix element. You get non-vanishing matrix elements only when you use so-called "in" and "out" free states and the ##S##-matrix connects them. In the free case, the ##S##-matrix is just the identity, so the ##S##-matrix element is given by the vacuum expectation value of the time-ordered product of the fields in the Heisenberg picture. So the time-ordered 2-point function is the relevant one for the free theory.
Tomishiyo
I'm studying QFT by David Tong's lecture notes.

When he discusses causility with real scalar fields, he defines the propagator as (p.38)
$$D(x-y)=\left\langle0\right| \phi(x)\phi(y)\left|0\right\rangle=\int\frac{d^3p}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{1}{2E_{\vec{p}}}e^{-ip\cdot(x-y)},$$
then he shows that the commutator of two scalar fields at arbitrary spacetime points ##x,y## is
$$[\phi(x),\phi(y)]=D(x-y)-D(y-x).$$
When he moves on to discuss the propagator of a fermion, however, he defines
$$iS_{\alpha\beta}=\{\psi_{\alpha}(x),\bar{\psi}_{\beta}(y)\}$$
as the propagator, where ##\bar{\psi}=\psi^{\dagger}\gamma^{0}## is the Dirac adjoint.

Could anyone explain me from where this definition comes from? I understand why the commutator turns into an anticommutator (due to the spinor quantization) and why you need a ##\psi## and ##\bar{\psi}## (due to Lorentz invariance). But I find it confusing, since he didn't call the commutator of two scalar fields as the propagator before, he defined it as the vacuum expectation of the field in two different points as ##D(x-y)##. Or are the propagators named differently for scalars and spinors? Why does it has to be a matrix instead of a number (meaning, why define it with the adjoint to the right of the anti-commutator instead of the other way around)? Also, why define it with an ##i## factored out?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to specify which propagator you mean. There are many propagators used in QFT. In the vacuum for perturbation theory you usually only need the time-ordered one (which is the same as the Feynman propagator in this case), in the many-body case you need more (Schwinger-Keldysh real-time formalism).

You can derive the propgators of course from the Wightman function (expectation values of fixed-ordered fiel products) or also from the retarded propagator (which is the commutator for bosons and the anti-commutator for fermions times the ##\Theta## function to make it retared) or the spectral function, which just is the imaginary time of the retarded propagator. For an introduction, see Sect. 2.2.4 of

https://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/off-eq-qft.pdf

as an example for the treatment at finite temperature in the real-time formalism.

Likes dextercioby
Thank you for your answer.

The propagators I'm referring are for the free scalar field and the free spinor field. I'm not sure if this answers your question because I understand so little about propagators that I'm not even used to the terminology.

As for the second part of your answer, I'll take a look at the ref.

Tomishiyo said:
Could anyone explain me from where this definition comes from?
Conceptually, one should distinguish the following two objects:
- propagator, which is another name for the Green function associated with a partial differential equation
- 2-point function, which is another name for the vacuum correlator of fields at two different points
Even though these two functions may eventually turn out to be the same (or closely related) functions, their a priori definitions are very different. Sloppy physicists sometimes say "propagator" when they mean "2-point function", and vice versa. For more details see e.g. Ryder, Quantum Field Theory.

Likes kith, vanhees71 and Tomishiyo
Demystifier said:
Conceptually, one should distinguish the following two objects:
- propagator, which is another name for the Green function associated with a partial differential equation
- 2-point function, which is another name for the vacuum correlator of fields at two different points
Even though these two functions may eventually turn out to be the same (or closely related) functions, their a priori definitions are very different. Sloppy physicists sometimes say "propagator" when they mean "2-point function", and vice versa. For more details see e.g. Ryder, Quantum Field Theory.
This explains a lot. Then the answer to my other questions, I suppose, must be that the Green function to the Dirac operator is a matrix and for some convenient reason Tong factored out the ##i##. Thank you for your answer.

Likes Demystifier
The point is that there is not "the Green's function" for hyperbolic differential equations, i.e., wave equations. For free particles a Green's function obeys the equation
$$(\Box+m^2) G(x,x')=\delta^{(4)}(x-x').$$
For any solution you can add an arbitrary solution of the homogeneous equation,
$$(\Box+m^2) G_0(x,x')=0,$$
and you get again another Green's function.

You need to know which Green's function you need for your specific problem. E.g., in vacuum QFT to evaluate Feynman rules for ##n##-point functions and finally ##S##-matrix elements you need the time-ordered Green's function, i.e., for the uncharged Klein-Gordon field
$$\mathrm{i} \Delta(x,x')=\langle \Omega|\mathcal{T}_c \hat{\phi}(x) \hat{\phi}(x')|\Omega \rangle.$$
You can show, using the canonical equal-time commutators, that this function indeed obeys the defining equation for the Green's function.

In linear-response theory you need the retarded propagator which by definition is ##\propto \Theta(x^0-x^{\prime 0})##. You can also show, using the equal-time commutators, that this is given by
$$\mathrm{i} G_{\text{ret}}(x,x')=\Theta(x^0-x^{\prime 0}) \langle \Omega|[\hat{\phi}(x),\hat{\phi}(x')]|\Omega \rangle.$$
So you have to be careful to use the right propagator for any given problem.

Likes Demystifier, Tomishiyo and A. Neumaier

What's the idea behind propagators?

The idea behind propagators is to provide a framework for modeling and solving constraint satisfaction problems. It involves representing the problem as a set of variables and constraints, and then using a propagator to efficiently propagate information about the constraints and their effects on the variables.

How do propagators work?

Propagators work by maintaining a set of rules that describe how the constraints affect the variables. When a variable changes, the propagator uses these rules to update the other variables accordingly. This process is repeated until all variables have been assigned values that satisfy all constraints.

What are the advantages of using propagators?

Using propagators allows for efficient and systematic solving of constraint satisfaction problems. They can handle complex and interdependent constraints, and can also handle incremental changes to the problem, making them useful for real-world applications.

What types of problems can be solved with propagators?

Propagators can be used to solve a wide range of constraint satisfaction problems, including scheduling, resource allocation, and routing problems. They are particularly useful for problems with many variables and complex constraints.

Are there any limitations to using propagators?

While propagators are effective for many types of problems, they do have some limitations. They may not be suitable for problems with a large number of constraints or problems that require global constraints. Additionally, the efficiency of propagators can vary depending on the problem and the chosen propagator implementation.