Register to reply

Non-strange non-baryonic states are eigenstates of G-parity

Share this thread:
karlzr
Nov16-12, 01:49 AM
P: 86
It is said that all non-strange non-baryonic states are eigenstates of G-parity. And all members of an isospin multiplet have the same eigenvalue. Can anyone give me a proof to these two statements, or show me where I can find one?
In addition, the composite state consisting of [itex]K^{+}K^{-}[/itex] should be an eigenstate of G, according to the first statement. But after applying [itex]G=e^{-i\pi I_y}C[/itex] to [itex]K^+=u\bar{s}[/itex], we obtain [itex]\bar{K^0}=\bar{d}s[/itex]. Similarly, [itex]K^-[/itex] changes into [itex]K^0[/itex](here [itex]e^{-i\pi I_y}=e^{-i \pi \sigma_y/2}[/itex] for SU(2)) . Then how can we say [itex]K^{+}K^{-}[/itex] is an eigenstate of G?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
Bill_K
Nov16-12, 05:57 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,160
In order to talk about G-parity you have to start with an eigenstate of isospin. Whereas both K+K- and K0K0-bar are superpositions of I=0 and I=1.
karlzr
Nov16-12, 02:41 PM
P: 86
Quote Quote by Bill_K View Post
In order to talk about G-parity you have to start with an eigenstate of isospin. Whereas both K+K- and K0K0-bar are superpositions of I=0 and I=1.
Do you mean [itex]K^+ K^-[/itex] and [itex]K^0\bar{K}^0[/itex] are not eigenstates of G-parity? because I don't think so. Consider [itex]\pi^+ \pi^-[/itex], it can also be superposition of I=0,1,2, but the G-parity is [itex](-1)^2=1[/itex], since [itex]\pi[/itex] are eigenstate of G with eigenvalue -1.
Actually this is about a problem from Bettini's elementary particle physics, 3.20 on page 107. Here is the link:
http://books.google.com/books?id=HNc...page&q&f=false

Bill_K
Nov16-12, 03:52 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,160
Non-strange non-baryonic states are eigenstates of G-parity

Sorry, my comment was incorrect. This paper might be of help to you, especially on p 9 where they work out the G-parity of K K-bar systems.

Register to reply