Initial states ppbar can proceed to npi^0 with parity conserved

In summary, the conversation discusses working on particle physics and asks questions about the initial states of a ppbar system and its reaction to npi^0. The strong interaction and isospin conservation play a role in determining the possible initial states. Parity is also considered, with the notation for atomic orbitals being used to indicate singlet states and total orbital angular momentum. Having the option for angular momentum makes conservation laws easier to maintain.
Jamiemma1995
I'm working on some stuff for particle physics and I had a few questions I wanted to ask .

Heres the outline of the problem :

Establish which initial states of the ppbar system amongst 1^S_0, 3^S_1, 1^P_1, 3^P_0, 3^P_1, 3^P_2, 1^D_2, 3^D_1, 3^D_2, 3^D_3
the reaction ppbar->npi^0 can proceed for a) any n , b) n=2

Here are my questions

1) would I be correct in saying that this is a strong interaction because particle -antiparticle reactions are governed by the strong interaction which then means that Isospin is conserved and so as ppbar has isospin I=0 or 1 then the pion system must also have I= 0 or 1 and so we can limit which initial states are possible using this fact ?

2) I know that the parity of a proton is 1 , and so its antiparticle has parity -1 then I think that we can say that the parity of the ppbar system is
P(ppbar)=(1)(-1)^l where l is the total angular momentum of the ppbar system , is that right ?

3) pi^0 is a psuedoscalar so it has parity -1 which would then give the parity for n=2 case as P(pi^0pi^0)= (-1)(-1)^J=(-1)^(J+1) , where J = l+S , then extending this to the case where n is any number we could say that P(npi^0)= (-1)^(J+n-1), is this correct ?

4) my final question is about the notation of the atomic orbitals (I've never had to use them before , I do physics not chemistry ) say we have 1^S_0, Then I think what this means is that the superscript on the lhs indicates that it's a singlet and the subscript on the rhs tells us that its total orbital angular momentum is 0 , I'm not sure if that's correct though...additionally is there any further information we can take from knowing for instance that the ppbar starts in say the 1^S_0 state ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The strong interaction will dominate the process.

In general the option to have angular momentum will mean the conservation laws are easy to keep.

The notation looks strange - do you really have a state written as ##1^S_0## (that's what you wrote)? The notation should follow the notation for electron orbitals.

1. What is the initial state for the process ppbar → npi^0 with parity conserved?

The initial state for this process is a proton and an antiproton.

2. What is the final state for this process?

The final state is a neutron and a neutral pion.

3. How is parity conserved in this process?

Parity conservation means that the initial and final states have the same parity. In this case, both the initial and final states have positive parity.

4. What is the significance of this process in particle physics?

This process is important in understanding the strong interaction, which is responsible for the binding of protons and neutrons in the nucleus. It also helps to study the properties of the neutral pion, which is an important particle in the Standard Model of particle physics.

5. Are there any other processes that can produce a neutron and a neutral pion?

Yes, there are other processes that can produce a neutron and a neutral pion, such as the decay of a neutral kaon or the interaction of a high energy photon with a proton. However, the process of ppbar → npi^0 is the most common and well-studied way to produce these particles.