Location of Earth in the Universe

by new23d
Tags: big bang, redshift
new23d
Nov15-12, 08:04 AM
P: 1
I have tried searching around for this but couldn't find anything basing the location on Redshift and the Big Bang. By observing direction and velocity of Redshifting objects, and with the knowledge of the Big Bang model, I thought the (approximate) location of our planet could be determined.

Comments, links, sources, references anyone? Is Earth the centre of the Universe?
Phys.Org News Partner Space news on Phys.org
First-of-its-kind NASA space-weather project
Some astronauts at risk for cognitive impairment, animal studies suggest
Spacewalking astronauts complete urgent repair job (Update)
phinds
Nov15-12, 08:28 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,720
There is no center or edge to the universe so questioning where we are in the universe is not meaningful. We can only describe our position relative to various other objects (galaxies, etc)

You would do well to read the FAQ in the cosmology section
Perchie
Nov16-12, 04:25 AM
P: 20
What in effect, you can say is that we are at the 'centre' of the universe - but it's not a geographical 'centre'.
And the CMB (the farthest back we can see in time) looks the same from all other points in the universe - so wherever you go, the CMB looks the same.
From which, you can only draw that the CMB is a time away rather than a distance.

Understanding space-time is something that as yet, has proved impossible for anyone to get their heads around - given that we do not understand how the universe exists/existed WITHOUT (NB : not 'before') space-time.

Our intuition always demands a where and a when ... a before/after and a here/there.
To understand the non-space-time universe, we have to somehow suspend that intuition.
I'm sure someone someday will manage it - maybe a PF member.

Whovian
Nov16-12, 10:19 AM
P: 642

Location of Earth in the Universe

Take the Earth for example. In this hypothetical situation, we're not discussing the interior of the Earth or anything outside of it. We consider the surface to be all there is, a two-dimensional Universe.

Is any point on the sphere the centre of this Universe? Absolutely not.

Of course, this is an imperfect analogy. First of all, the Universe is 3-dimensional (in space, at least,) not 2-dimensional, but we could use the same logic for a 3-dimensional Universe, it's just hard to visualize a 3-dimensional surface in 4-space. The other thing is, it's not necessarily the surface of a "sphere" (or at least, the 4-dimensional equivalent of one.) It could easily be torus-like (donut,) it could just be infinitely large and "flat."
enosis_
Nov16-12, 11:21 PM
P: 120
It's hard not to think of Earth as the center of our Universe - isn't it?
Chronos
Nov17-12, 12:40 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,185
Earth is always at the center of the observable universe - unless you are somewhere else.
FiveWords
Nov18-12, 07:12 AM
P: 2
So my teenaged kid is right, she is the center of the universe?
enosis_
Nov18-12, 09:36 AM
P: 120
Quote Quote by FiveWords View Post
LOL - there is no question of that!
Drakkith
Nov18-12, 01:49 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,057
Quote Quote by FiveWords View Post
OBSERVABLE universe! There is no center to the universe as a whole as far as we know.
phinds
Nov20-12, 11:40 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,720
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
OBSERVABLE universe! There is no center to the universe as a whole as far as we know.
What, you've never been a teenager ?
Drakkith
Nov20-12, 04:04 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,057
Quote Quote by phinds View Post
What, you've never been a teenager ?
I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of nuclear weapons at this base.

Register to reply