Seeking reference for math related to the age of Recombination

In summary, the Wikipedia page on Recombination in cosmology states that it occurred 370,000 years after the Big Bang and resulted in the cosmic background radiation being emitted at a temperature of 3000 K, which has now redshifted to 2.7260±0.0013 K. The calculation of the value T, which represents the age of the universe at the time of Recombination, is complex and can be found in sources such as David Tong's lecture notes on cosmology or through numerical integration using values for the parameters Omega_m and Omega_r. The value of T is estimated to be around 300,000 years, but more precise calculations suggest it to be 358,590 years with only Omega
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Wikipedia's article about Recombination says it occurred at about time T =370,000 years after the Big Bang. I have tried (and failed) to search for the math that calculates Recombination as happening at this time T.
The Wikipedia references is
It says:
Recombination occurred about 370,000 years after the Big Bang (at a redshift of z = 1100),​
and
the cosmic background radiation is infrared [and some red] black-body radiation emitted when the universe was at a temperature of some 3000 K, redshifted by a factor of 1100 from the visible spectrum to the microwave spectrum).​
I get that scale factor a(t) =1/(z+1) corresponds to the fact that the (about) 3000 K production of photons at time T is perceived now as 2.7260±0.0013 K photons. (See reference
paragraph 4 under the heading"Features".)​

What seems to be missing is how the value of T is calculated. I get that the value of H(a) can be calculated for the time T. If H(a) is known, then it would then be possible to calculate the distance at time T between (1) the source of the CMB produced at time T (and observed at time now) at (2) the place in the universe at T which is now Earth .

I hope some reader will be able to post a source for the math producing the value T.

Space news on Phys.org
Buzz Bloom said:
I hope some reader will be able to post a source for the math producing the value T.
A simplified version of the calculation is given in section 2.3.3 of David Tong's lecture notes on cosmology.

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/cosmo.html

This simplified calculation is still fairly involved, but the real calculation is more complicated; see Mea Culpa at the end of this section.

Likes Buzz Bloom and PeterDonis
ADDED: I FOUND MY MISTAKE! I fixed it below.

I very much want to thank @George Jones for his post to this thread. I have been trying for a week to grasp the process leading to the conclusion regarding the age at the universe at the time of Recombination, but I keep coming up with a wrong answer. I am hopeful a reader will be able to find my error and explain it to me.

It may be useful to start with references.
R1:
https://originoftheuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Cosmic_microwave_background_radiation

R2:
https://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/cosmo/two.pdf

R3:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedmann_equations#Detailed_derivation

R1 says:
the current temperature of the CMB is
T_now = 2.725K.

R2 says on page 101 what is below. If you want to find this page, I suggest you search for the text saying “101”.
The temperature at the time of Recombination is
T_rec ~= 3600 K.
The time at recombination is given as
t_rec = 300,000 years.

The value for z_rec is given as 1300. My guess is that this is because of the lack of precision to the value of the temperature T_rec. I choose to use a bit more precision.
z_rec = T_rec/T_now = 1308

I calculate a_rec as follows:
a_rec = 1/(1+z_rec) = 1/1309 = 0.00076394 .

It will be also needed below to calculate the value:
a_rec^(3/2) = 0.000021115 .

R2 also calculates the time t_rec based on simplification of the R3 Friedmann equation, based on
Omega_m/a^3 >>(Omega_r/a^4 + Omega_k/a^2 + Omega_Lambda).
However, it is not clear in the text exactly how this is done. I assume that R2 uses the R3 equation which is then simplified based on the above, assuming that Omega_m =0.3 remains in the process.
H(a) = (da/dt)/a = H_0 SQRT(Omega_m/a^3) = H_0 SQRT(0.3/a^3)
Therefore:
dt = (da/a) / (H_0 SQRT(a^3/0.3)) = [a^(1/2) x (1/0.3)^(1/2) x (1/H_0)] da
= [(1/0.3)^(1/2) x (1/H_0)] x a^(1/2) da
= 1.8257 x 14.4 Gyr x a^(1/2) da

Integrating I get:
t_rec = (2/3) x 1.8257 x 14.4 Gyr x a_rec^(3/2)
= 17.53 Gyr x a_rec^(3/2)
= 0.000021115 x 17.53 Gyr
= 21,115 x 17.53 yr
= 370,000 yr

I will see what a numerical integration using the full combinationof Omega_m and Omega_r.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
I decided to take a different approach to this topic in another thread. It will take me some time to figure out how to organize it. I have found some improved reliable values for the necessary parameters. The following are integration results using these "new" parameter values and using both integration methods., one with just Omega_m and the other also with Omega_r. These results obviously have more numerical digits than are appropriate for the actual precision of these values.

With Omega_m only:
t_rec = 358,590 years.

With both Omegas:
t_rec = 273,341 years.

The 300,000 years presented in
is obviously a very very rough approximate value.

By the way, if you want to find page 101, I suggest searching for the text "101".

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. What is the age of Recombination?

The age of Recombination refers to the time in the history of the universe when electrons and protons combined to form neutral atoms, allowing light to travel freely through space. This occurred approximately 380,000 years after the Big Bang.

2. How is the age of Recombination calculated?

The age of Recombination is calculated by measuring the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover heat from the Big Bang. By studying the patterns in this radiation, scientists can determine the time when atoms first formed.

3. What role does math play in understanding the age of Recombination?

Math plays a crucial role in understanding the age of Recombination. The equations and calculations used in cosmology allow scientists to make predictions about the universe and its history, including the age of Recombination.

4. Are there any mathematical models or theories related to the age of Recombination?

Yes, there are several mathematical models and theories related to the age of Recombination. One example is the Lambda-CDM model, which uses mathematical equations to explain the expansion and evolution of the universe, including the time of Recombination.

5. How does understanding the age of Recombination contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Understanding the age of Recombination is crucial for understanding the early stages of the universe's evolution. It allows us to study the conditions and processes that led to the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets. It also helps us to better understand the fundamental laws of physics and the origins of the universe.