Age of Universe: 13.8 Billion Years

In summary, the age of the universe is believed to be around 13.8 billion years, as measured by a comoving observer far away from any gravitational sources. However, an observer close to a black hole or traveling at extreme velocities may measure a different age due to time dilation effects. The concept of a year is defined by the Earth's orbit around the Sun, but in astronomy it is simply a specific number of seconds.
MikeeMiracle
TL;DR Summary
Age of the Universe
Summary: Age of the universe

Just a bit of a fun here, not sure how this equates into anything useful.

So we believe the "age of the universe" to be around 13.8 billion years, it seems to me that this is a relative time frame based on the rate of flow of time on earth. I find myself wondering how other observers would measure the "age of the universe."

Assuming the earliest black hole appeared around 400 million years after the big bang and still existed. An observer very near to it would measure the age of the universe slightly more than 400 million years old. Am I correct in this assumption? Or would the observer still think the universe is 13.8 billion years old and it's just as far as we are concerned that observer has only experienced 400 million years?

Likewise if an observer appeared shortly after the big bang and never experienced any time dilation effects from their own velocity or proximity to matter, how old would the universe appear to that observer? I guess this is the same as asking if there is a fundamental rate of flow of time?

I have been told before that we can draw a graph with velocity on 1 axis and time on the other and we travel through this "spacetime" at the speed of light. As we approach the speed of light in velocity our time slows down, if our velocity was zero, what would the flow of time be? This is where I get confused as "travelling through time at the speed of light," does not make sense to me. It does not seem a valid measurement.

I fully appreciate / comprehend that there is no such thing as zero velocity in the "real universe," we are always moving. It's just a hypothetical question.

Like i say not sure there is any point to this question apart from curiosity.

Space news on Phys.org
MikeeMiracle said:
I find myself wondering how other observers would measure the "age of the universe."
Google "co-moving observer" and/or do a forum search for same. A good place to start is the set of links at the bottom of this page (I just checked them. They are not what you are looking for)

I have read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comoving_and_proper_distances but clearly i must be not understanding something. I still do not have a suitable answer to my question. Does the observer by the black hole measure the age of the universe differently to the observer who has existed since the big bang?

MikeeMiracle said:
Does the observer by the black hole measure the age of the universe differently to the observer who has existed since the big bang?
Yes, he does. The age you quoted in the opening post is the age as measured by a comoving observer (stationary w/r to the local space), far away from any gravitational sources. I.e. it's the maximum age any observer can measure. For any observer not traveling at extreme velocities w/r to locally comoving observers, or not in extreme gravitational environments (such as very close to black holes) the difference in perceived age will be negligible. This includes us on Earth.

MikeeMiracle said:
So we believe the "age of the universe" to be around 13.8 billion years, it seems to me that this is a relative time frame based on the rate of flow of time on earth.

Indeed. A year is defined as the period of time it takes for the Earth to orbit the Sun. Before the Earth existed, there was no definition of a year.

Measuring anything in years that pre-dates the formation of the Earth is simply an extrapolation from our current methods of time measurement. If the Earth is 4.54 billion years old, then by definition there have only been 4.54 billion years. Nothing can be 13.8 billion years old.

GuyBarry said:
A year is defined as the period of time it takes for the Earth to orbit the Sun.

That's how that period of time was originally defined, but when cosmologists use the term they just mean a particular number of seconds (using the SI definition of the second, which does not depend on Earth's orbit or even on Earth's existence).

Likes davenn and PeroK
GuyBarry said:
Indeed. A year is defined as the period of time it takes for the Earth to orbit the Sun. Before the Earth existed, there was no definition of a year.

In astronomy, a year is defined as ##31, 557, 600## seconds. And a second is defined in terms of the caesium atom.

Likes Teichii492
PeroK said:
In astronomy, a year is defined as ##31, 557, 600## seconds. And a second is defined in terms of the caesium atom.

Thanks for clarifying that.

1. How do scientists determine the age of the universe?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the age of the universe, including studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, measuring the expansion rate of the universe, and analyzing the chemical composition of ancient stars.

2. What is the current accepted age of the universe?

The current accepted age of the universe is 13.8 billion years, as determined by data from the Planck satellite and other cosmological observations.

3. How does the age of the universe relate to the Big Bang theory?

The age of the universe is closely tied to the Big Bang theory, which states that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. The estimated age of 13.8 billion years aligns with the timeline of events predicted by the Big Bang theory.

4. Has the age of the universe always been the same?

No, the age of the universe has not always been the same. The universe has been expanding since the Big Bang, which means that the age of the universe is constantly increasing. However, the rate of expansion has changed over time due to the influence of dark energy.

5. How accurate is our current understanding of the age of the universe?

Our current understanding of the age of the universe is based on the best available data and scientific theories. While there may be some uncertainties and room for further research and refinement, the estimated age of 13.8 billion years is considered to be highly accurate by the scientific community.