Register to reply

Are static models totally static?

by Lino
Tags: models, static, totally
Share this thread:
Lino
Nov21-12, 05:59 AM
P: 297
Hi, I appreciate the basics if static models, but I'm wondering just how static they are. I understand there is no expansion, but is there any element of evolution? (For example, colliding galaxies, collapsing dust clouds, etc.)

Regards,

Noel.
Phys.Org News Partner Space news on Phys.org
Chilly end for sex geckos sent into space by Russia
Memory reformat planned for Opportunity Mars rover
Magnetar discovered close to supernova remnant Kesteven 79
jedishrfu
Nov21-12, 06:23 AM
P: 3,002
Static doesn't mean no movement. Everything is moving and react to gravitation and quantum effects. No big bang, no expansion, just there.
Lino
Nov21-12, 06:43 AM
Thanks Jedisshrfu. That's what I figured, but couldn't find confirmation in any of the literature.

Regards,

Noel.

jedishrfu
Nov21-12, 09:11 AM
P: 3,002
Are static models totally static?

Wikipedia has some good info on the model:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_universe
Lino
Nov21-12, 09:19 AM
Thanks jedishrfu.

Regards,

Noel.
skydivephil
Nov21-12, 10:38 AM
P: 452
What static model are you referring to? There are steady state models such as Hoyles (now discredited model) and more mdoern steady sate models such as steady state eternal inflation. A new static model was pubslihsed a few months ago:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1205.5550
but I believe all of these models allow for observations of an expanding universe and galaxies colliding etc but perhaps thats now what you are referring to.
Lino
Nov21-12, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the reply skydivephil. A lot of the arxiv items that I have read lately refer simply "static models" in various contexts. I was pretty sure that this (generally) did not mean completely unchanging ... but I could not find any clarification.

Regards,

Noel.

Register to reply