Static and dynamic excited states

In summary: One possibility is to measure the energy of the excitation, which can give you an indication of whether it is a single nucleon excitation or a collective motion of the nucleus. Another possibility is to look at the angular momentum and parity of the excited state, which can also provide information about the type of excitation. Ultimately, it may require a combination of different experimental techniques to fully understand the nature of the excitation.
kelly0303
Hello! I am reading about excited levels in nuclei (I am mainly following Wong's nuclear physics book) and I am a bit confused about the nature of the excited states. In the one particle picture (mainly shell model) the excitation appears as static i.e. one nucleon moves from a certain orbital to another one and that's it. In the liquid drop model the excitation appears dynamic i.e. the energy leads to nucleus to vibrate or rotate. I am a bit confused if these 2 pictures are describing the same excitation levels, or they are two separate things? For example in molecules you have some "static" excitations (i.e. electronic excitations) and some "dynamic" ones (i.e. rotation and vibration). Is it the same here i.e. does the shell model describe static excitations and the liquid drop model describes dynamic ones, or they are the same ones just from 2 different perspectives? Basically when I see a diagram of a nucleus with energy levels (and spin and parity of each level), can any of these transitions (at least in principle) be described by both shell model and liquid drop model (of course one of them might be more adequate for a given nucleus), or each transition can be explain by only one of the two (I am aware that there are many other models out there, but I'd like to stick to these 2 for now). Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
They are different excitations. You can have individual nucleons reaching higher energy levels but you can also have the whole nucleus deform (collective excitations/giant resonances).
Note that - just like for orbitals - these deformations don't need to have a state that changes in time.

Likes vanhees71
mfb said:
They are different excitations. You can have individual nucleons reaching higher energy levels but you can also have the whole nucleus deform (collective excitations/giant resonances).
Note that - just like for orbitals - these deformations don't need to have a state that changes in time.
Thank you for your reply! So experimentally, how can one figure out the type of excitation? For example an excitation with ##\lambda = 3##, which is an octupole deformation, is it because a nucleon changed its orbital angular momentum value by 3, or because the nucleus as a whole was having octupole oscillations? Or it can be both depending on the energy?

That will depend on your experiment.

1. What is the difference between static and dynamic excited states?

Static excited states refer to the electronic states of a molecule or atom that do not change over time. These states are typically stable and have a fixed energy level. On the other hand, dynamic excited states refer to electronic states that are constantly changing and have varying energy levels. These states are often short-lived and can quickly transition to other states.

2. How are static and dynamic excited states created?

Static excited states can be created through various methods such as absorption of light, collisions with other particles, or chemical reactions. Dynamic excited states are typically created through the absorption of energy, such as heat or light, which causes the electrons to become excited and move to higher energy levels.

3. What is the significance of static and dynamic excited states in chemistry?

Static and dynamic excited states play a crucial role in chemical reactions and the behavior of molecules. The stability and energy levels of static excited states determine the reactivity of molecules, while the constant changes in dynamic excited states can lead to chemical reactions and the formation of new compounds.

4. How do static and dynamic excited states affect the properties of materials?

The properties of materials, such as color, luminescence, and conductivity, are influenced by the electronic states of their constituent molecules. Static excited states determine the color of a material, while dynamic excited states can lead to luminescence and changes in conductivity.

5. Can static and dynamic excited states be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, both static and dynamic excited states can be controlled and manipulated through various methods. For example, the energy of static excited states can be altered through the use of external stimuli, such as light or electric fields. Dynamic excited states can also be controlled through the use of catalysts or specific chemical reactions.