Temporal differences across a galaxy?

• B
  • Thread starter narrator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Galaxy
In summary, the conversation discussed the possible implications of temporal differences across a galaxy on its shape and how bodies within the galaxy may be affected by delayed gravitational effects. It was mentioned that the effects of gravity from different parts of the galaxy are delayed due to the vast distances, but this delay has a negligible impact due to the galaxy being a nearly stationary system. Additionally, the paper by Carlip discusses how the speed of gravity was previously thought to be at least 7×106c based on Newtonian assumptions, but with the understanding of gravity in General Relativity, the speed of gravity is now known to be equal to the speed of light, c.
narrator
TL;DR Summary
Do the temporal differences across a galaxy create any issues for how a galaxy holds together, maybe affecting it's shape?
Hi. I'm a science enthusiast. I haven't been here in a long while. This is something I've wondered about for quite some time.

I'm wondering if the temporal differences across something so vast as our milky way galaxy might pose any implications for how our galaxy holds together (ours and other galaxies, of course). This is probably simple math for a cosmologist.

I was thinking a while back. If I held a model of our galaxy in my hand and twirled it, that spiral shape might seem kind'a natural. Though, from one side of that model to the other, there is effectively no time differential. The real galaxy has a differential of about 100 thousand years. Even locally, our next nearest star system is just over 4 years. It made me wonder about bodies within a galaxy whose gravitational effects would be delayed years or even aeons, and how that might affect things. Is it just simple math, and does it impact on the shape of the galaxy?

(As for my Math level, 40 years ago I could do basic dy/dx calculus, but not now. I should have kept it up, hey.)

Andrew

Space news on Phys.org
narrator said:
Summary: Do the temporal differences across a galaxy create any issues for how a galaxy holds together, maybe affecting it's shape?
Consider something simpler. A binary star. Does the force of gravity from the other star point toward where the other star was or to where it is now? Answer: it points to where it is now.

[At least until we get into effects like the precession of the perihelion of Mercury]

Likes narrator
narrator said:
whose gravitational effects would be delayed
The gravitational effects of a given part of the galaxy "now" are delayed, but what you are feeling "now" from, say, the other side of the galaxy are the gravitational effects of that part of the galaxy 100,000 years ago. And since the galaxy has not changed significantly on that time scale (it takes about 250 million years for a star system at the distance from galaxy center of our solar system to orbit the galaxy center), the gravity you feel now from the other side of the galaxy 100,000 years ago is pretty close to the gravity being "emitted" by the other side of the galaxy "now". In other words, the galaxy is a (nearly) stationary system, and in a stationary system, which doesn't change significantly with time (at least on the time scale of light travel time across the system), "time delay" for an effect like gravity doesn't matter, because the system one light travel time ago is the same as the system now.

The galaxy is not perfectly stationary, so there are small effects due to its departure from being perfectly stationary, but they're too small to measure (and we don't know enough detail about the other side of the galaxy anyway to be able to attempt to measure such effects). In addition, in GR, gravity is not a Newtonian force, and even in the approximation (low speeds and weak fields) where we can treat it as close to being a Newtonian force, there are still extra corrections that have the effect of canceling out most of the effects of propagation delay. (Most, not all: effects like the precession of the perihelion of Mercury that @jbriggs444 mentioned are due to the fact that the cancellation is not complete.)

The classic paper on this is Carlip 1997:

https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9909087

Likes ohwilleke and narrator
Thanks Peter, great explanation! The paper, I've downloaded and quickly read a couple of pages. Hopeful that I'll understand enough, look forward to reading it.

@PeterDonis
Could you help me unpack this quote from that paper?
"By analyzing the motion of the Moon, Laplace concluded in 1805 that the speed of (Newtonian) gravity must be at least 7×106c "

Thanks

narrator said:
Could you help me unpack this quote from that paper?
"By analyzing the motion of the Moon, Laplace concluded in 1805 that the speed of (Newtonian) gravity must be at least 7×106c "
Laplace was assuming that gravity was a Newtonian inverse square law force that depended only on the distance between the two bodies. On that assumption, you can use the lack of observed aberration in gravity (i.e., that the force points towards the position of the other body "now", not at any time delayed time in the past) to place a lower limit on the speed at which the Newtonian force of gravity must propagate. (It can only be a lower limit because of the finite accuracy of our measurements; we can't say that the observed aberration is exactly zero, only that it is smaller than the smallest amount that we could detect.)

But of course with GR we now know that Laplace's assumption was false. Gravity is not a Newtonian inverse square law force that depends only on the distance between the two bodies. It can be approximated as such a force under certain conditions, but that is only an approximation, and one that we can easily detect corrections to, such as the perihelion shift of Mercury (and now other planets as well). And that means we cannot use the lack of observed aberration to infer the kind of lower limit on propagation speed that Laplace did. We have to use the actual, GR-correct behavior to make such inferences, and Carlip shows in his paper how all of our observations, once we use the correct GR equations, are consistent with the propagation speed of gravity being ##c##.

Likes narrator
Thanks Peter. Grateful for your explanation.

1. What are temporal differences across a galaxy?

Temporal differences across a galaxy refer to variations in time or changes that occur within a galaxy. This can include changes in the physical properties of objects within the galaxy, such as the movement of stars, as well as changes in the overall structure and evolution of the galaxy itself.

2. How do scientists measure temporal differences across a galaxy?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to measure temporal differences across a galaxy, including observations with telescopes and satellites, computer simulations, and mathematical models. These methods allow scientists to track changes in the galaxy over time and analyze the data to understand the underlying causes of these differences.

3. What causes temporal differences across a galaxy?

Temporal differences across a galaxy can be caused by a variety of factors, including the gravitational pull of nearby galaxies, interactions with dark matter, and the effects of cosmic events such as supernovas. These factors can influence the movement and evolution of objects within the galaxy, leading to temporal differences.

4. How do temporal differences across a galaxy impact our understanding of the universe?

Studying temporal differences across a galaxy can provide valuable insights into the evolution and dynamics of the universe. By understanding how galaxies change over time, scientists can better understand the processes that shape the universe and how it has evolved over billions of years.

5. Can temporal differences across a galaxy be used to predict future changes?

While scientists can make predictions about the future based on temporal differences across a galaxy, it is not possible to accurately predict all changes that may occur. This is because there are many complex factors that can influence the evolution of a galaxy, making it difficult to predict with complete accuracy. However, studying temporal differences can help scientists make educated guesses and better understand the potential future of a galaxy.