Is there some liquid planets out there???

by MadAtom
Tags: liquid, physical laws, planet
MadAtom
Nov22-12, 02:20 PM
P: 27
well there are gaseous planets... what are the laws that avoid the existence of a giant liquid planet with a little rocky nucleus?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
Drakkith
Nov22-12, 04:03 PM
PF Gold
P: 10,992
As far as we know, most planetary systems form from gas clouds that are composed mostly of Hydrogen. So giant planets are far more likely to get as massive as they are by absorbing large amounts of hydrogen and not other materials, which are far more rare.

However, consider the fact that Jupiter's composition is dominated by LIQUID hydrogen thanks to the enormous pressure inside it. So the answer to your question may depend on what you consider to be a "liquid planet".
Chronos
Nov22-12, 06:19 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,171
The trouble with liquid water is we are unlikely to find it on planets outside of a stars habitable zone, and few such candidates are known to exist thus far. But, we need not leave the solar system to find extraterrestrial water. Europa and Triton, satellites of Jupiter and Saturn, are suspected to possess vast oceans of liquid water underneath their frozen surfaces - see http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/scitech/....cfm?ST_ID=286 for discussion.

e

gneill
Nov22-12, 09:46 PM
Mentor
P: 11,401

Is there some liquid planets out there???

Does liquid rock count?

Go back in time to the early days of its formation and Earth was a 'liquid' planet, for suitable values of 'liquid'.
MadAtom
Nov23-12, 03:11 PM
P: 27
I think I'm going to study more about gaseous planets then I'll reformulate my question... thank you all.

Register to reply