Does gravity compress matter in planets?

In summary: For a fully solid water ice planet of 1,000 km diameter, its density will be 1 g/cm3. However, if it were 10,000 km in diameter, the density would be greater due to compression.
Dreksler
TL;DR Summary
If for example a planet is fully made out of water ice and is 1,000 km in diameter its density will be 1 g/cm3 (I assume), does that mean that a planet fully made out of water ice at 10,000 km in diameter will also have a density of 1 g/cm3 or will it be greater due to (possible) compression because of greater gravity?
Will there be a compression of matter that the planet is made out of due to gravity when we are talking about planets? If so I would like to know what the effect would be in the example given in the summary.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
What have you read about Jupiter?
Didn't read much about Jupiter recently. The interest in the question started while I was reading up on Super Earths and their composition.

Jupiter is an example where such a compression takes place. For any other planet, you need to provide far more data.

Likes ohwilleke
fresh_42 said:
Jupiter is an example where such a compression takes place. For any other planet, you need to provide far more data.
I recall something regarding that, possibly that in the back of my mind made me ask the question in the first place. I don't know exactly what more data is relevant to the question. Let's say a fully solid with no gasses planet that is entirely made out of water ice with a diameter of 1,000 km compared to a fully solid water ice planet with no gasses at 20,000km, both will have a density of about 1 g/cm3?

I would imagine the latter would be more dense, but it would depend on how recently it formed (gravitational collapse would cause significant heating). The details would be theoretically calculable by looking at a phase diagram of water and specifying a temperature, but I've no idea if we have reliable information about the physical properties of water under that kind of pressure.

In short, I don't think it's as simple as specifying a radius. At the least you need to do a back of the envelope calculation of the pressure at the center then find a phase diagram valid to that kind of pressure. The former's fairly easy, but the latter may or may not exist.

Likes ohwilleke and Dreksler
Ibix said:
The former's fairly easy, but the latter may or may not exist.
See my Wikipedia link in post #6.

Dreksler said:
Summary:: If for example a planet is fully made out of water ice and is 1,000 km in diameter its density will be 1 g/cm3 (I assume), does that mean that a planet fully made out of water ice at 10,000 km in diameter will also have a density of 1 g/cm3 or will it be greater due to (possible) compression because of greater gravity?
Look into the density at the bottom of the ocean for a light version of this.

Likes Dreksler, Vanadium 50 and Bystander
There's also temperature and salinity to consider with the ocean water.

Likes ohwilleke and Dreksler

1. How does gravity affect the compression of matter in planets?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the compression of matter in planets. The gravitational force between the particles of matter causes them to be pulled towards the center of the planet, resulting in compression. This compression increases with the mass of the planet and the strength of its gravitational force.

2. Does gravity compress all types of matter in planets?

Yes, gravity compresses all types of matter in planets, including solids, liquids, and gases. However, the degree of compression may vary depending on the density and composition of the matter. For example, the compression of gas is less significant compared to solids due to the larger spaces between gas particles.

3. Can gravity cause matter to compress to the point of collapse?

Yes, in extreme cases, gravity can cause matter to compress to the point of collapse. This phenomenon is known as gravitational collapse and is observed in massive objects such as stars. The gravitational force becomes so strong that it overcomes the internal forces holding the matter together, resulting in a collapse and potentially forming a black hole.

4. How does the size of a planet affect the compression of matter due to gravity?

The size of a planet has a direct impact on the compression of matter due to gravity. As the size of a planet increases, the gravitational force also increases, leading to a higher degree of compression. This is why larger planets like Jupiter and Saturn have a much higher density and stronger gravitational force compared to smaller planets like Earth.

5. Can other factors besides gravity affect the compression of matter in planets?

Yes, besides gravity, other factors can also affect the compression of matter in planets. These factors include the temperature, pressure, and composition of the planet's interior. For example, the high temperature and pressure in the core of a planet can also contribute to the compression of matter, especially in the case of gas giants like Jupiter and Saturn.