Puzzle about electron affinity in solid-state physics

In summary: Electron Affinity.In this chapter, the authors discuss the work function and electron affinity. They start by explaining that the work function is a function of the energy level of the electron and is different for different elements. They then discuss the electron affinity and explain that it is a bulk property and does not depend on the band structure near the surface. The authors then discuss the importance of the work function and electron affinity in semiconductor devices.
qilong
Hi everyone, I am a student studying semiconductors and solid-state physics. I have a question which is haunting for several years. That is about the definition of electron affinity in solid-state physics. Its definition in solid state physics may be quite different from that in chemistry. Almost in every textbook it is said to be fixed, no matter if the conduction band is bent or not. But nobody gives a rigid proof or a quantitative analysis of this. They just throw out the definition:a value between the vacuum energy and the bottom of the conduction band, and then say it is fixed by nature. I even doubt how those great physicists like Shockley or Sze.M dared to use it without a thorough understanding. Can anybody offer a quantitative explanation to this? Both some derivations related to QM are some papers are welcomed.

Physics news on Phys.org
I still don't see exactly where you see a problem. What do you mean with bending of the conduction band? I think the electron affinity is usually defined for homogeneous bulk materials.

I mean the X in the attached picture. This is from Mott's paper of the metal-semiconductor rectifying theory. He just said it varies a little and even did not mention what was its name.

Attachments

• ???.png
    ???.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 804
I think what he tries to explain is that the work function is not identical to the electron affinity.
Note that the electron affinity is defined as the difference between the zero level of energy and the lowest state in the conduction band far inside the semiconductor. That means it is a bulk property and by definition does not depend on the band structure near the surface.
You may find something in Ashcroft and Mermin's book.

Hi DrDu, I have browsed this book but little was found. Can you be more specific? Thank you very much!

Chapter 18, The Work Function

1. What is electron affinity in solid-state physics?

Electron affinity in solid-state physics is a measure of the energy released or absorbed when an electron is added to a solid material. It is an important concept in understanding the behavior of electrons in solids.

2. How does electron affinity affect the properties of solids?

Electron affinity plays a crucial role in determining the electronic and optical properties of solids. It affects the energy levels, conductivity, and band structure of materials, which ultimately determine their physical and chemical properties.

3. What factors influence the electron affinity of solids?

The electron affinity of solids is influenced by several factors, including the atomic and electronic structure of the material, the presence of impurities or defects, and external factors such as temperature and pressure.

4. What are some examples of materials with high electron affinity?

Materials with high electron affinity include halogens such as fluorine and chlorine, as well as transition metals like iron and copper. These materials tend to have a strong attraction for electrons, making them good conductors of electricity.

5. How is electron affinity measured in solid-state physics?

Electron affinity is typically measured using various experimental techniques, such as photoemission spectroscopy or scanning tunneling microscopy. These methods involve exciting electrons in the material and measuring the resulting energy changes to determine the electron affinity.