Physics 141B at Berkeley: Intro Solid State Physics

In summary, the conversation is about an individual who plans on being an exchange student at Berkeley next year and is looking for course descriptions for a specific course in solid state physics. The individual is currently taking a similar course at their home university and does not want to have to re-study the same material. They are interested in taking a course similar to TFY4245 at their home university.
Nikitin
Hi. I plan on being an exchange student at Berkeley next year. I cannot find any course description for this course, I only find the description for 141A+141B: http://general-catalog.berkeley.edu/catalog/gcc_list_crse_req?p_dept_name=Physics&p_dept_cd=PHYSICS

141A. Solid State Physics. (4) Three hours of lecture and one hour of discussion per week. Prerequisites: 137A-137B; 137B may be taken concurrently. Part I. A thorough introductory course in modern solid state physics. Crystal symmetries; classification of solids and their bonding; electromagnetic, elastic, and particle waves in periodic lattices; thermal magnetic and dielectric properties of solids; energy bands of metals and semi-conductors; superconductivity; magnetism; ferroelectricity; magnetic resonances. (F,SP) Staff

141B. Solid State Physics. (3) Three hours of lecture and one hour of discussion per week. Prerequisites: 137A-137B and 141A. Part II. A thorough introductory course in modern solid state physics. Crystal symmetries; classification of solids and their bonding; electromagnetic, elastic, and particle waves in periodic lattices; thermal magnetic and dielectric properties of solids; energy bands of metals and semi-conductors; superconductivity; magnetism; ferroelectricity; magnetic resonances. (F,SP) Staff

The problem is that I am taking a SSP course right now at my home uni: http://www.ntnu.edu/studies/courses/TFY4220#tab=omEmnet
and I don't want to have to re-study the same material.

I'd like to take something akin to this course:
http://www.ntnu.edu/studies/courses/TFY4245#tab=omEmnet

Does anybody know?

Last edited by a moderator:
TFY4220 = PHYS141A
TFY4245 ~ PHYS141B (content varies a lot depending on the lecturer from what I've heard)

1. What is the focus of Physics 141B at Berkeley: Intro Solid State Physics?

The focus of this course is to introduce students to the fundamental principles and concepts of solid state physics, including crystal structures, electronic band structure, and semiconductor devices.

2. Is this course suitable for non-physics majors?

Yes, this course is designed for both physics and non-physics majors. It assumes a basic understanding of physics and calculus, but no prior knowledge of solid state physics is required.

3. What are some examples of real-world applications of solid state physics?

Solid state physics has many real-world applications, including the development of computer chips and other electronic devices, solar cells, and nanotechnology. It also plays a crucial role in materials science and engineering.

4. What kind of assignments and assessments can I expect in this course?

Assignments may include problem sets, lab reports, and projects. Assessments may include exams, quizzes, and participation in class discussions and activities.

5. What are some potential career paths for students who take this course?

Students who take this course may pursue careers in research and development in industries such as electronics, materials science, and renewable energy. It can also serve as a foundation for graduate studies in physics or related fields.