Solid State Electronics: Is It Worth Pursuing?

In summary, the conversation discussed the potential pursuit of a double major in electrical engineering and physics, with a focus on solid state electronics. The speaker expressed interest in this field and received positive feedback from others. It was suggested that having a background in solid state electronics could lead to opportunities in research or engineering. Ultimately, the advice given was to pursue what interests the individual.
gremio594
I am just finishing my A.S. in Electrical Engineering Tech. and am looking into bachelor programs. I want to double major in EE and physics. At the University of Iowa they have an applied physics program with a concentration in solid state electronics. I was wondering if solid state electronics is worth pursuing and if electrical engineering is a discipline that is worth going to graduate school for?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pursue that in which you are interested.

There was a recent discussion here with many positive replies about EE.

I personally am biased towards solid state stuff, as an applied physics major. I think it's awesome so far.

I don't think I can give too much advice though; if it interests you, do it! A background in solid state electronics would, for example, be valuable if you want to work in improving the nanoscale transistors (making them smaller or better) at the cutting edge of research.

Also consider whether you'd like a research position, maybe more scarce and likely requiring a PHD, or engineering type applications and design, likely not.

1. What is solid state electronics?

Solid state electronics refers to the study and use of solid materials to control and manipulate the flow of electrons in electronic devices. This includes the design, development, and fabrication of materials such as semiconductors and their use in transistors, diodes, and other electronic components.

2. Why is solid state electronics worth pursuing?

Solid state electronics is worth pursuing because it has revolutionized the field of electronics and has led to the development of various technologies such as computers, smartphones, and renewable energy sources. Its advancements have greatly improved our lives and have the potential to continue to do so in the future.

3. What are some potential career opportunities in solid state electronics?

Some potential career opportunities in solid state electronics include working as a semiconductor engineer, electronic circuit designer, materials scientist, or research scientist. Other related fields include microelectronics, optoelectronics, and nanotechnology.

4. What are the challenges in pursuing solid state electronics?

One of the main challenges in solid state electronics is keeping up with the rapid pace of advancements and innovations in the field. This requires constant learning and updating of skills and knowledge. Additionally, the field can be highly competitive and requires a strong foundation in math, physics, and engineering principles.

5. What are some recent developments in solid state electronics?

Some recent developments in solid state electronics include the development of new materials such as graphene and carbon nanotubes, 3D printing of electronic components, and the use of artificial intelligence in designing and optimizing electronic devices. Other advancements include the use of solid state batteries in electric vehicles and the development of flexible and transparent electronic devices.