Another PGRE post: be happy with percentile or retake?

In summary, Don't is advising against taking the GRE again in the hopes of improving your score. If you're ok with paying ETS more for the excitement of going through another exam, the safe way to do it is to take the exam without specifying score recipients.
nonequilibrium
Hello,

I will only be applying to US Grad schools next year (circumstances...), but I took the GRE this year anyway cause there was no real reason not to and it would allow me to take it without too much pressure at the time. So I just got my scores: 980, in the 94-th percentile. From what I can gather as a foreigner, this is a good score, and I am happy! But I was just wondering, suppose I try to aim for the top schools next year, is it worth re-taking the PGRE next year in the hope of getting better? I realize there is no need for this, but I am just wondering if it might help (taking into consideration the effort of going through it again), after all 94-th percentile doesn't sound that high in the grand scheme of things (considering the amount of applications the top schools probably get).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't. Just don't...

Haha, no, I most likely won't, but because I have no idea how competitive American universities can be, I'm just checking to be sure (don't worry, I'm not masochistic); in other words, unless somebody sensible here votes "yay", I won't.

If you look at admission profiles at the gradcafe or physicsgre sites you'll see that most people admitted at top 10 schools have scores like that.

If you're ok with paying ETS more for the excitement of going through another exam, the safe way to do it is to take the exam without specifying score recipients. That way when you get your score you can choose to send it if you're score is any better (at 25$ a pop to each university...).

IMO, you're wasting your money.

IMO, you're wasting your money.
Why are you implying I'm already planning on going?

Anyway, thanks for the help.

*you'd be. :)

1. Should I be satisfied with my percentile on the PGRE or retake it?

It ultimately depends on your individual goals and circumstances. If your percentile is within the range of scores accepted by the graduate programs you are interested in, then you may not need to retake the PGRE. However, if your percentile is significantly lower than the average accepted scores or if you are aiming for highly competitive programs, then retaking the PGRE may improve your chances of admission.

2. How many times is it acceptable to retake the PGRE?

The number of times you can retake the PGRE may vary depending on the graduate programs you are applying to. Some programs may have a limit on the number of times you can take the exam, while others may consider your highest score regardless of the number of attempts. It is important to research the policies of the programs you are interested in to determine the best course of action.

3. How long should I wait before retaking the PGRE?

It is generally recommended to wait at least 3-4 months before retaking the PGRE. This will give you enough time to review and improve your knowledge in areas where you may have performed poorly. It is also important to consider the application deadlines of the programs you are interested in, as you may need to retake the exam earlier to meet those deadlines.

4. Can I cancel my PGRE score if I am not satisfied with it?

Yes, you can cancel your PGRE score on the test day before leaving the testing center. However, once you leave the testing center, you cannot cancel your score. It is important to carefully consider your decision to cancel as it will not be reported to any graduate programs.

5. How can I improve my PGRE score for a retake?

There are several ways to improve your PGRE score for a retake. You can review and practice with study materials, take practice tests, and seek guidance from professors or tutors. It is also important to analyze your previous performance and focus on improving in areas where you may have struggled. Additionally, make sure to take care of your physical and mental well-being during the preparation process to perform at your best on test day.