Register to reply

Another PGRE post: be happy with percentile or retake?

by nonequilibrium
Tags: happy, percentile, pgre, retake
Share this thread:
nonequilibrium
Dec10-12, 12:43 AM
P: 1,416
Hello,

I will only be applying to US Grad schools next year (circumstances...), but I took the GRE this year anyway cause there was no real reason not to and it would allow me to take it without too much pressure at the time. So I just got my scores: 980, in the 94-th percentile. From what I can gather as a foreigner, this is a good score, and I am happy! But I was just wondering, suppose I try to aim for the top schools next year, is it worth re-taking the PGRE next year in the hope of getting better? I realize there is no need for this, but I am just wondering if it might help (taking into consideration the effort of going through it again), after all 94-th percentile doesn't sound that high in the grand scheme of things (considering the amount of applications the top schools probably get).

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
ahsanxr
Dec10-12, 03:49 AM
P: 341
Don't. Just don't...
nonequilibrium
Dec10-12, 04:19 AM
Haha, no, I most likely won't, but because I have no idea how competitive American universities can be, I'm just checking to be sure (don't worry, I'm not masochistic); in other words, unless somebody sensible here votes "yay", I won't.

Lavabug
Dec10-12, 06:32 AM
P: 897
Another PGRE post: be happy with percentile or retake?

If you look at admission profiles at the gradcafe or physicsgre sites you'll see that most people admitted at top 10 schools have scores like that.

If you're ok with paying ETS more for the excitement of going through another exam, the safe way to do it is to take the exam without specifying score recipients. That way when you get your score you can choose to send it if you're score is any better (at 25$ a pop to each university...).

IMO, you're wasting your money.
nonequilibrium
Dec10-12, 07:07 AM
IMO, you're wasting your money.
Why are you implying I'm already planning on going?

Anyway, thanks for the help.
Lavabug
Dec10-12, 07:10 AM
P: 897
*you'd be. :)

Register to reply