Taking time to study for the PGRE

In summary, the conversation is about someone who has been out of school for 2 years and is interested in going back to get their PhD in physics. They have a strong application with a high GPA, research experience, and good letters of recommendation. However, their weakness is their GRE score, which they have not taken the official test for and scored poorly on practice tests. The group suggests taking a math class and reviewing material before retaking the test and provides resources for studying. One person shares their experience of improving their score with focused studying.
RHLMJP
Hi all,

I've been out of school for about 2 years, I got my degree in physics and have been working in the semiconductor industry since, as an engineer in an R&D group. I am interested in going back to get my PhD now, simply since I was mainly doing theory (computational semiconductor stuff) as an undergrad, and I enjoyed that more than what I currently do which is very experiment heavy.

My application is fairly strong. I still have good contact with my rec letter writers, and they could write me strong letters. My undergrad gpa was ~3.9, I have 3 co-author pubs, and some undergrad research experience, in addition to my industry experience.

My weakness is the GRE. I haven't taken the official PGRE, since I had the job lined up and wasn't planning to go to grad school. I did take some practice tests recently, and ended up scoring poorly on them (~40th percentile, I think I'm out of practice). Would a score like this keep me out of a good school, or could I piggy-back off of my industry experience? I'm not aiming to go to MIT-level schools, but preferably something in the top 25. Would it be worth-while to take a few months and study to improve my score?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you figured out why you did poorly on the practice tests? Was it the length of the test? Was it that you were rusty on specific topics? Did you review any material in between your attempts?

If you have a good handle on lower-division physics, you should be able to get a decent score on the physics subject test. If it's just a matter of being rusty, you could probably easily improve your score with a little bit of review.

One of the best pieces of advice I got from my undergraduate advisor was to be sure to take a math class during the semester before taking the GRE/PGRE. His point was that you can get rusty with math if you aren't doing it every day, and at the time I had completed all of the mandatory math classes for my BS degree and would not have taken an elective math class that coming semester if he had not pointed this out to me.

It's a bit different for you now, but I would recommend doing some regular math (and physics) review for a while before taking the exam again. Maybe go through some of the MIT videos or use some other source to get you back into the swing of things... :smile:

Likes CalcNerd
I think it's fairly common for students to put in a focussed effort into maximizing their PGRE score. We can't tell you how much that will improve your score, but putting the time in especially since you haven't been a student for a couple years, is likely going to help you do better.

It's important to remember that different schools will assess or weight your PGRE results differently too. You still don't want to do poorly, but if it's the only weak point on your application you should still be able to get into a good program.

I was able to improve my PGRE score substantially with a month or so of focused study. Take a practice test, then analyze the problems you missed and see what you need to do to get it right next time. Did you understand the problem but just make a mistake? Then practice problems of that type. Was the problem in an area that you never quite understood? Then spend some time studying that area. After you have worked through all of the problems you missed, take another practice test and repeat the process. This will work wonders.

Likes CalcNerd
Here is my two cents on an ideal method to refresh prior knowledge for the pGRE. There are five exams from previous years posted online, you can find them here: http://www.alexhunterlang.com/physics-gre.

1. Study closely three of the five exams. You'll notice that the physics GRE can be reasonably split into two categories: questions of an underlying theme that is repeated (e.g., "Find the Lagrangian of a pendulum") and random trivia (e.g., "What is the age of the universe?"). You'll be focusing on the former.

2. Work through each of these problems using whatever textbooks you find useful. "Conquering the Physics GRE" is a great resource for this - it gives a brief overview of many topics presented on the pGRE, but the practice questions in the book are generally harder than what you'll see on the exam. You might also want to use an introductory physics textbook (something like Serway/Jewett, or Halliday/Resnick). Check your answers- the solutions are here: http://grephysics.net/ans/all-solutions_list.php

3. As you're working through these exams, write down equations, concepts, etc. that you need to remember. I had one page each for classical mechanics, quantum, stat mech, and E&M. Memorize them!

4. Take the 4th "practice exam" under test-like conditions. If you're getting in the 40th percentile without studying, I think by this point you'll be doing quite well on the exam. Again, check your answers with the solutions, and memorize whatever you forgot to study.

I'd be curious to see what people say about the above plan to study for the physics GRE for someone who just needs a "refresher".

1. How much time should I spend studying for the PGRE?

The amount of time you should spend studying for the PGRE will depend on your current level of knowledge and your target score. Generally, it is recommended to spend at least 3-4 months studying for the exam, but some students may need more or less time.

2. What resources should I use to study for the PGRE?

There are many resources available for studying for the PGRE, including review books, practice tests, online courses, and study groups. It is important to find resources that work best for your learning style and cover all of the topics on the exam.

3. How often should I take practice tests while studying for the PGRE?

It is recommended to take practice tests at regular intervals throughout your study period. This will help you track your progress and identify areas for improvement. Aim to take at least 2-3 practice tests before the actual exam.

4. How can I manage my time effectively while studying for the PGRE?

To manage your time effectively while studying for the PGRE, create a study schedule and stick to it. Prioritize the topics you need to review and make sure to include breaks and time for rest. It is also important to set realistic goals and not try to cram too much information in a short period of time.

5. Should I study alone or with a study group for the PGRE?

It is recommended to study with a combination of both methods. Studying alone allows you to focus and work at your own pace, while studying with a group can provide support and different perspectives on the material. Find what works best for you and mix it up for maximum effectiveness.