Can Excel accurately calculate planet positions in real-time?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a spreadsheet to calculate the positions of planets in the solar system using latitude, longitude, and current time. The concept of ephemerides is mentioned, and several websites are suggested as resources for finding astronomical and astrological ephemerides. There is also a discussion about the accuracy of data from JPL Horizons and using more precise data for calculations.
Silverbug
Hi All,

I wanted to see if it were conceivable to create a spreadsheet you could calculate the position of planets within our solar system given a lat and long position and using the current time?

I've tried searching for something similar, or formulas to calculate these, but haven't had much luck. perhaps I'm just not looking for the right thing.

I eventually want to be able to create something in php, but figured getting it in Excel to start with may be a better way of approaching it.

Any help or suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What you're looking for is called "ephemeris"(pl. ephemerides).
You can find both astronomical and astrological ephemerides on the net. Shockingly, the latter ones are not necessarily complete bollocks, but might use some weird coordinate system.

Here's a couple of sites for finding (astronomical)ephemerides:
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons.cgi
http://www.aphayes.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ephemeris/index.html

And here's a guide on how to calculate planetary positions as used by the second one of the tools linked above:
http://www.stjarnhimlen.se/comp/ppcomp.html

Whether it's doable in spreadsheets is a different kettle of fish.

thanks Bandersnatch, really appreciate the help and explination i'll have a look through these sites and give it a go :)

I've had a look at the last link in there and can't figure out why when I input the formula I get slightly different values. I don't believe it rounding issues as the variance is too large.

The formulas are correct.

It is just that data from JPL Horizons is actual data measures from the Barycenter Model and the data calculated my not be as accurate.

Try more accurate data:

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/?planet_pos

Look at links on the bottom.

Last edited:

1. How can I calculate the positions of planets in excel?

To calculate the positions of planets in excel, you can use the built-in function called "ASTRO.LONGITUDE". This function takes in the date, time, and location as inputs and returns the longitude of the specified planet.

2. Can I include multiple planets in my excel calculation?

Yes, you can include multiple planets in your excel calculation by using the "ASTRO.LONGITUDE" function for each planet and then adding or subtracting the resulting values to get their relative positions.

3. Do I need to include any special formatting for the planet positions in excel?

No, the "ASTRO.LONGITUDE" function will return the positions in degrees, which is the standard unit for measuring celestial coordinates. You can choose to format the cells to display the degrees in a specific format if desired.

4. Is it possible to calculate the positions of planets for a specific time in the past or future?

Yes, you can specify a date and time in the past or future as inputs for the "ASTRO.LONGITUDE" function to calculate the positions of planets at that time. Keep in mind that the accuracy may vary depending on the time span and the precision of your inputs.

5. Are there any limitations to using excel for calculating planet positions?

Excel can be a useful tool for basic calculations of planet positions, but it may not be as accurate or precise as other specialized software or tools. Also, the accuracy of the calculations may be affected by the accuracy of your inputs, such as the date, time, and location.