C# Accurate Earth, Moon Sun visual model to predict eclipses

In summary, the person is trying to make a model to predict lunar and Earth eclipse periods for a satellite that they have accurate ephemeris for. They want to use a Terrestrial Time scale, a reference epoch, an ephemeris model, and an Earth rotation model.
TheGalaxyOfGold
Hello all!

I am trying to make a VISUAL model (in C#) to predict lunar and Earth eclipse periods for a satellite that I have accurate ephemeris for.

I want to calculate everything in ECEF reference frame.

How would a go about modeling this system to the accuracy I'm interested in?

I assume I need the following:

1) A reference epoch that coincides with a particular position of moon and position/orientation of earth.
- how would I arrive at this?

2) A time scale, I assume I can use Terrestrial Time, please correct me if I'm wrong.

3) an ephemeris model.
- I would like to be able to update celestial object positions according to a time-slider and/or stop/start button which proceeds at a specified pace. Would calculating my own ephemeris be necessary, or can I use the JPL Horizons data?

4) An Earth rotation model. This one is mainly so that I can report coordinates accurately in ECEF, which is the reference frame that I'm interested in.

I'm thoroughly bewildered after looking through SOFA documentation. After about an hour of reading I guess I got that I can just use a Terrestrial Time scale, but I'm not real sure how I would use SOFA (certainly I have more to read) to implement my objectives. I've also heard of CSPICE, used by NASA, but haven't looked into it yet because I saw that the toolkit was offered in C, and I don't know if I can use that for a C# program, as I'm not sure how that works.

I'm basically just getting started, but any guidance or tutorials or hints/shortcuts that anyone can provide to me will be very much appreciated, and save me a lot of lurking around in the dark until I realize what it is that I need.

Thank you so much in advance!

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
If you have code in one language and need it in another, its possible to convert it line by line. This requires understanding both languages enough to do that. However, sometimes it can be quite daunting especially if they are based on different paradigms.

In the C to C# case, I don't think the port would be too difficult as they are both "C" style languages. Of course, you're probably going from procedural to object oriented but that is an easy mapping.

To get an idea of what it might take look at the rosettacode.org site. They have many examples of tasks solved in a multitude of languages and while in many cases they are not direct ports of one another you can still see how things are done in C and then done in C#.

Here's a list of C# examples, of which many have C versions too:

http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:C_sharp

and here's Ackermans function as an example:

http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Ackermann_function

The Ackermann function is a classic example of a recursive function, notable especially because it is not a primitive recursive function. It grows very quickly in value, as does the size of its call tree.The Ackermann function is usually defined as follows:{\displaystyle A(m,n)={\begin{cases}n+1&{\mbox{if }}m=0\\A(m-1,1)&{\mbox{if }}m>0{\mbox{ and }}n=0\\A(m-1,A(m,n-1))&{\mbox{if }}m>0{\mbox{ and }}n>0.\end{cases}}}Its arguments are never negative and it always terminates. Write a function which returns the value of {\displaystyle A(m,n)}. Arbitrary precision is preferred (since the function grows so quickly), but not required.

and the C# code:

C#:
using System;
class Program
{
    public static long Ackermann(long m, long n)
    {
        if(m > 0)
        {
            if (n > 0)
                return Ackermann(m - 1, Ackermann(m, n - 1));
            else if (n == 0)
                return Ackermann(m - 1, 1);
        }
        else if(m == 0)
        {
            if(n >= 0)
                return n + 1;
        }

throw [URL='http://www.google.com/search?q=new+msdn.microsoft.com']new[/URL] System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException();
    }

static void Main()
    {
        for (long m = 0; m <= 3; ++m)
        {
            for (long n = 0; n <= 4; ++n)
            {
                Console.WriteLine("Ackermann({0}, {1}) = {2}", m, n, Ackermann(m, n));
            }
        }
    }
}

and the C version:

C:
#include <stdio.h>

int ackermann(int m, int n)
{
        if (!m) return n + 1;
        if (!n) return ackermann(m - 1, 1);
        return ackermann(m - 1, ackermann(m, n - 1));
}

int main()
{
        int m, n;
        for (m = 0; m <= 4; m++)
                for (n = 0; n < 6 - m; n++)
                        [URL='http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/printf.html']printf[/URL]("A(%d, %d) = %d\n", m, n, ackermann(m, n));

return 0;
}

Last edited:
Likes BvU
Wow, I wasn't expecting someone to answer, but I'm sure it will be helpful. Thank you!

1. What is C# Accurate Earth, Moon Sun visual model?

C# Accurate Earth, Moon Sun visual model is a computer program written in the C# programming language that simulates the movements of the Earth, Moon, and Sun in order to predict eclipses. It takes into account various factors such as the tilt of the Earth's axis and the elliptical orbits of the Moon and Earth around the Sun.

2. How accurate is the C# Accurate Earth, Moon Sun visual model?

The C# Accurate Earth, Moon Sun visual model is highly accurate and can predict eclipses with a margin of error of less than 1%. It takes into account various astronomical factors and uses precise mathematical equations to simulate the movements of the Earth, Moon, and Sun.

3. What is the purpose of using C# Accurate Earth, Moon Sun visual model to predict eclipses?

The main purpose of using the C# Accurate Earth, Moon Sun visual model is to accurately predict the timing and location of eclipses. This information can be used for scientific research, education, and even for planning eclipse viewing events.

4. How does the C# Accurate Earth, Moon Sun visual model work?

The C# Accurate Earth, Moon Sun visual model uses complex algorithms and mathematical equations to simulate the movements of the Earth, Moon, and Sun. It takes into account various variables such as the positions and velocities of these celestial bodies, as well as the effects of gravity and other forces.

5. Can the C# Accurate Earth, Moon Sun visual model predict other astronomical events?

Yes, the C# Accurate Earth, Moon Sun visual model can also be used to predict other astronomical events such as planetary transits and solar eclipses. It can also be modified to simulate the movements of other celestial bodies in our solar system.