A PF milestone is approaching

by jtbell
Tags: approaching, milestone
Share this thread:
jtbell
Dec25-12, 11:57 AM
Mentor
P: 11,625
The Lame Jokes thread will probably hit a million views today. As I type this, it's at 999,943.

[added a few minutes later] Oops, now it's 999,972. Blink and you'll miss it!

Have any other PF threads ever reached a million views? The closest current thread I can find right now is the PF Random Thoughts thread, which is at about 893,000.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Pengwuino
Dec25-12, 12:46 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Yes, the thread after the Fukushima incident hit over a million views within a few days if I recall correctly.

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=480200

It currently stands at 2.5 million
Astronuc
Dec25-12, 12:50 PM
Admin
P: 21,827
We're also approaching 4 million posts.

Currently Posts: 3,958,276

Astronuc
Dec25-12, 12:52 PM
Admin
P: 21,827
A PF milestone is approaching

Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
Yes, the thread after the Fukushima incident hit over a million views within a few days if I recall correctly.

It took about 10 weeks or so. The thread hit 1 million views on June 1, 2001 - 05:00 pm, views = 1,000,091
Pengwuino
Dec25-12, 12:54 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
So I don't recall correctly...
jtbell
Dec25-12, 01:17 PM
Mentor
P: 11,625
Ah, I forgot about the Fukushima thread(s). Now I remember some discussion about the traffic in it, in the weeks/months after the events there.

Lame Jokes crossed the line while I was eating Christmas dinner. Now at 1,000,038.
Borek
Dec25-12, 03:12 PM
Admin
P: 23,393
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post

First three months (up to a million) are just an approximation, as I don't have data earlier than May 27th, 2011.
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled-1.png  
tahayassen
Dec25-12, 08:27 PM
P: 273
What is it with PF's obsession with incredibly large threads? It's so disorganized. Why not just make a lame jokes section?

Imagine merging all the calculus threads into one mega-thread.
Drakkith
Dec25-12, 09:01 PM
Mentor
P: 11,592
Hmmm. I'm approaching 9,000 posts...when it goes over 9,000 I will reveal my final form.
Evo
Dec25-12, 09:49 PM
Mentor
P: 26,474
Quote Quote by tahayassen View Post
What is it with PF's obsession with incredibly large threads? It's so disorganized. Why not just make a lame jokes section?

Imagine merging all the calculus threads into one mega-thread.
The Fukushima thread was a combination of threads on the disaster, then turned into a thread of news updates. Beats me why people care about the size of a thread. There are many small threads that are of high quality and value that are helpful in terms of learning and being helpful to others. But my understanding is that a thread doesn't have to be meaningful to make us money.
Drakkith
Dec25-12, 11:34 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
The Fukushima thread was a combination of threads on the disaster, then turned into a thread of news updates. Beats me why people care about the size of a thread. There are many small threads that are of high quality and value that are helpful in terms of learning and being helpful to others. But my understanding is that a thread doesn't have to be meaningful to make us money.
Huge threads are typically useless in my experience. Other than to document the discussion of a specific topic. But that only really helps if the discussion goes well, otherwise it's just 150 pages of arguing, of which everything worthwhile is argued in the first 5 pages, then re-argued about twelve dozen times after that.
micromass
Dec26-12, 08:26 PM
Mentor
P: 18,061
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
Huge threads are typically useless in my experience. Other than to document the discussion of a specific topic. But that only really helps if the discussion goes well, otherwise it's just 150 pages of arguing, of which everything worthwhile is argued in the first 5 pages, then re-argued about twelve dozen times after that.
I agree with this. Huge threads typically contain very little valuable discussion. And they tend to be very difficult to moderate as well.
OmCheeto
Dec26-12, 08:56 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,420
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
I've seen threads answered on the first page, with a mere sentence.
I'm amazed when the answer is ignored, and the 150 pages of arguing ensue.
There's a topic for discussion: Why do people love to argue?
Drakkith
Dec26-12, 09:24 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by OmCheeto View Post
There's a topic for discussion: Why do people love to argue?
A better question has never been asked. Uh oh, that statement might spark an argument! WHAT HAVE I DONE?!
jim mcnamara
Dec27-12, 09:26 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,381
A better question has never been asked.
A flagrant untruth, them's fightin ' words.

Let's just not argue at all , and say that we did.
Ivan Seeking
Dec27-12, 09:59 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,498
If reaching one-million posts constitutes reaching a milestone, then one post ~= 1.61mm. I never knew that.
Borek
Dec28-12, 02:39 AM
Admin
P: 23,393
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
If reaching one-million posts constitutes reaching a milestone, then one post ~= 1.61mm. I never knew that.
I guess it depends on the screen DPI. On my monitor your post takes well over 3" (that's mostly because of your list of badges and avatar), shortest posts by others are around 1.5".
mfb
Dec28-12, 11:05 AM
Mentor
P: 11,617
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
We're also approaching 4 million posts.

Currently Posts: 3,958,276
4 million existing posts, the postid (the number of posts ever posted, or copied) is at 4210910. Which corresponds to ~5% deleted posts.

Which thread has most posts? Random thoughts has 17,651.

Register to reply