Can PF's Moderation Techniques Improve Other Online Discussion Sites?

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the poor quality of discussions on a forum set up by the AAAS and suggests that a combination of clear rules and active moderation would improve the quality of posts. The forum Physics Forums (PF) is praised for its efficient moderation and lack of problems compared to other sites like StackExchange. The conversation also mentions a recent incident involving the removal of a community-elected moderator on StackOverflow and the contrast between PF's stable staff and other forums with high turnover rates. Overall, PF is praised as a unique and successful example of a forum with efficient moderation and continuous growth.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For a while, I have been keeping an eye on a kind of forum or bulletin board that the AAAS has set up. I have not really participated there much, due to their poor quality of discussions. Particular people are often dominating discussions by posting very frequently and not always on topic.
While discussing how this might be improved upon, this was mentioned:
The only measure I've ever directly experienced to work well in terms of post quality and setting topic boundaries, and do so over time, is a combination of (1) clear, simple and strict rules and (2) nearly 24/7 active moderation. As examples, I'd cite Physics Forums and Universe Today. The first is perhaps a better example, as it closely fits what I would understand as what John is seeking when science is the topic.

PF providing examples for other discussion sites.

Their leading idea now is to limit the number of posts/day or posts/thread/day. This seems to be favored based on its relative unintrusiveness and not requiring a lot of labor (moderators and ensuing arguments).
They have little moderation and probably can't easily increase it as things are run now.

• Love
Likes Charles Link, Rive, QuantumQuest and 13 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for sharing Bill! PF rocks!

Likes Charles Link, QuantumQuest, WWGD and 4 others
PF is currently much better than other sites in terms of moderation alone, if I let aside other things. I am a member of StackExchange, and sometimes lurk around in their Android site to learn new stuff. Recently, there has been a lot of problem with the removal of a community-elected moderator (in one of their sister sites, not sure which one). The person was removed by the StackOverflow team on what it seemed to be "unexplained" grounds. Almost all SE sites are against this; some have started complaining about their life as moderators - carry out all the duties free of charge but earn no respect from the company staff. There seems to be a continuous clash between community mods and staff members in those sites.

On the contrary, here in PF, I never found any such problem. Our moderation team is more efficient compared to theirs, simply because mods are nominated and not elected by the community.

Thanks to the hard work by the mentors, the experience of the advisors, and, last but not least, Greg's leadership, PF is going to prosper in the coming days.

• Love
Likes Charles Link, phinds, weirdoguy and 5 others
Wrichik Basu said:
Recently, there has been a lot of problem with the removal of a community-elected moderator.

Monica Cellio. . .

Wrichik Basu said:
. . . not sure which one. . .

Way more than one. . .

Wrichik Basu said:
The person was removed by the StackOverflow team on what it seemed to be "unexplained" grounds.

You can read all (it might take two lifetimes) about the issues at the link below . . 😒Firing mods and forced relicensing: is Stack Exchange still interested in cooperating with the community? - Meta Stack Exchange

OCR said:
You can read all (it might take two lifetimes) about the issues at the link below . . 😒
No, thank you. I'm not interested in SE's problems any more. I mentioned the incident only for a comparison.

Wrichik Basu said:
No, thank you. I'm not interested in SE's problems any more. I mentioned the incident only for a comparison.
. . . .

From my experience as a member and later mentor, the staff here is very stable. I've been a mentor for at least the past 10 years (don't remember exactly when I got the nod), and no mods have been fired. A few have resigned, usually because of the time demands of moderating and the rest of their lives, and one or two left due a disagreement in how moderation should work, but other than that, things are very smooth.

Likes berkeman and Greg Bernhardt
PF is a wonderful example of a forum in many ways. The site has stayed on top of its game for so many years, which is even more impressive. Many would be afraid to change the base software after so many years but the move to XF was great and Greg did it ahead of many others who are now following. I see many users and staff here that are unique to this site. On other forums you'll find almost a 100% overlap because they are kind of copies of the same idea. PF is not able to be copied so easily.

Likes berkeman, Greg Bernhardt and BillTre

1. How does PF's moderation techniques differ from other online discussion sites?

PF's moderation techniques involve a combination of automated tools and human moderators to ensure that discussions remain civil and productive. This differs from other sites that may rely solely on automated moderation or have less active moderation.

2. Can PF's moderation techniques be applied to all types of online discussions?

Yes, PF's moderation techniques can be applied to a wide range of online discussions, including forums, social media platforms, and comment sections. The techniques focus on promoting respectful and constructive communication, which can benefit any type of online discussion.

3. How effective are PF's moderation techniques in preventing online harassment and hate speech?

PF's moderation techniques have been found to be effective in reducing instances of online harassment and hate speech. By actively moderating and enforcing rules against such behavior, PF aims to create a more inclusive and welcoming environment for all users.

4. Can other online discussion sites adopt PF's moderation techniques?

Yes, other online discussion sites can adopt PF's moderation techniques. However, it is important to note that the effectiveness of these techniques may vary depending on the specific needs and dynamics of each site. It is also crucial for sites to have a strong commitment to enforcing these techniques consistently.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to PF's moderation techniques?

One potential drawback of PF's moderation techniques is that they may limit free speech and expression. However, PF strives to strike a balance between promoting respectful discourse and allowing for diverse opinions and perspectives. Additionally, users are still able to express their opinions as long as they do so in a respectful manner.