Register to reply

Travelling faster than speed of light

by shivakumar06
Tags: faster, light, speed, travelling
Share this thread:
shivakumar06
Jan8-13, 12:51 PM
P: 67
can we in theory travel faster than light?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
Doc Al
Jan8-13, 01:03 PM
Mentor
P: 41,563
Quote Quote by shivakumar06 View Post
can we in theory travel faster than light?
No..
Ibix
Jan8-13, 02:14 PM
P: 378
Debatable.

Not in the conventional sense, by accelerating with a rocket. Einstein's relativity theory says that you can't accelerate to lightspeed, and the theory has passed every test we've thrown at it.

However, a man called Alcubierre developed a possible loophole. He found a solution to Einstein's equations that described a warp bubble (no, Scotty, I am not joking). You don't move, but you arrange for the patch of space-time around you to move faster than light. There are two problems that I am aware of. One, you need negative mass matter and we've never seen that, nor do we have any idea if it's possible to create. Two, the maths describes a warp bubble already in existence. We have no maths to describe a warp bubble forming or dissipating, and there is some doubt as to whether or not such maths is even possible.

All warp-related scholarship from Wikipedia and the maths is way above my head, so health warnings abound.

Register to reply