travelling faster than speed of light

by shivakumar06
Tags: faster, light, speed, travelling
shivakumar06
Jan8-13, 12:51 PM
P: 55
can we in theory travel faster than light?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
Doc Al
Jan8-13, 01:03 PM
Mentor
P: 40,875
Quote Quote by shivakumar06 View Post
can we in theory travel faster than light?
No..
Ibix
Jan8-13, 02:14 PM
P: 372
Debatable.

Not in the conventional sense, by accelerating with a rocket. Einstein's relativity theory says that you can't accelerate to lightspeed, and the theory has passed every test we've thrown at it.

However, a man called Alcubierre developed a possible loophole. He found a solution to Einstein's equations that described a warp bubble (no, Scotty, I am not joking). You don't move, but you arrange for the patch of space-time around you to move faster than light. There are two problems that I am aware of. One, you need negative mass matter and we've never seen that, nor do we have any idea if it's possible to create. Two, the maths describes a warp bubble already in existence. We have no maths to describe a warp bubble forming or dissipating, and there is some doubt as to whether or not such maths is even possible.

All warp-related scholarship from Wikipedia and the maths is way above my head, so health warnings abound.

Register to reply