Why is there nothing faster than light?

In summary: CTCs would be a very strange theory indeed. There's no reason to think that it would be any more successful than the current theory, which is not very successful.
Thalita Luna
Hi guys! Is there a simple explanation to describe why light owns the faster speed at the universe ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thalita Luna said:
Hi guys! Is there a simple explanation to describe why light owns the faster speed at the universe ?
Yes. It has 0 mass. Nothing is faster because nothing has less than 0 mass.

Likes Demystifier and vanhees71
Most of the universe's toys travel at the speed of light: all EMR, gravitational waves and other fundamental forces, for example.

A more insightful question might be: why do things with mass travel slower than the speed of light?

Likes vanhees71 and FactChecker
Thalita Luna said:
I would say yes or no, depending on exactly what question you want answering.

@Dale's answer is correct: within relativity, anything without mass travels at ##c##; anything with mass travels slower. If you try to describe something travelling faster than light it turns out to have an imaginary mass, but I gather that more careful modelling of imaginary mass fields shows they couldn't propagate faster than light either. So on one level, that's it: light is the fastest thing, travelling at ##c##, because it's massless.

But you can ask why that should be. Why are the laws of physics such that there is a maximum speed? I don't think there's an answer to that yet. It's a direct consequence of the postulates of relativity that you cannot exceed light speed, which is why you cannot do it in our mathematical models. But why those postulates lead to accurate models of reality, we do not know.

You may like this popular science video:

Likes Motore and russ_watters
I think we are overstating the case.

Let's separate theoretical from observational objection.

Observational: we have never seen a tachyon. Therefore they must be rare, interact only feebly with ordinary matter, or most likely both. "Do not exist" is a limiting case of "rare".

Theoretical:
(1) SR, which was deveoped entirely by observations with v <= c, struggles with tachyons.
(2) QM, which was deveoped entirely by observations with v <= c, struggles with tachyons.
(3) It is often said that tachyons have imaginary mass. This is a common choice, but a choice. One could also have real mass and imaginary energy and/or momentum. In many ways that's worse - it's even less predictive, But this all assumes plugging in v > c into equations derived for v < c, and we know that procedure doesn't even work for v = c.
(4) In any theory involving spacetime, like SR, tachyons permit signalling into the past under certain circumstances. This is usually regarded as a fatal problem, although GR suffers from the same problem (Tipler cylinders) and people are OK with that.

So they are not needed to explain any observation, and have multiple theoretical problems. I think the theoretical problems are all bad, but any one of them can be potentially worked around, All four? Seems unlikely, but these are theoretical objections.

Should unambiguous and unequivocal evidence for tachyons be discovered, you can bet the next day there would be fifty papers on the arXiv saying "I knew it all along!"

Likes vanhees71, russ_watters, berkeman and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:
This is usually regarded as a fatal problem, although GR suffers from the same problem (Tipler cylinders) and people are OK with that.
I expect that most, possibly all, of the people who are OK with that are taking the position that any solution of the EFE that allows for signalling into the past is unphysical.

And techyons signaling into the past might require a set of unphysical initial conditions. We don;t know, and with no observation and no real theory we are unlikely to.

I am working on a paper now. I don't want to discuss the details before it is published,, but I can tell you it is possible to cook up a model without CTCs and that these tachyons have a signature that has not really been looked for - a dedicated experiment can push the limits way, way down. Stay tuned.

Likes Demystifier and vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
And techyons signaling into the past might require a set of unphysical initial conditions. We don;t know, and with no observation and no real theory we are unlikely to.

I am working on a paper now. I don't want to discuss the details before it is published,, but I can tell you it is possible to cook up a model without CTCs and that these tachyons have a signature that has not really been looked for - a dedicated experiment can push the limits way, way down. Stay tuned.
Well, it is easy to have tachyons that never allow CTCs or tachyon anti-telephone, in SR. Just posit that there exists a preferred inertial frame in which all tachyon trajectories must move forward in (coordinate) time. Many people (me included) reject this on the grounds that a preferred frame is at odds with the principle of relativity.

I suspect that a tachyon theory without CTC must have a preferred frame with the above features, but I'll await your paper.

PAllen said:
tachyons that never allow CTCs
Actually, the causality violations in tachyon models do not involve CTCs, because tachyon worldlines are spacelike. The causality violations come from allowing causal connections to occur along spacelike curves as well as timelike or null curves. That is really the root problem.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
Actually, the causality violations in tachyon models do not involve CTCs, because tachyon worldlines are spacelike. The causality violations come from allowing causal connections to occur along spacelike curves as well as timelike or null curves. That is really the root problem.
Ah, yes. What you have are closed causal curves (e.g. two spacelike sides and a timelike side forming a causal loop). And the preferred frame restriction prevents such a construction from occurring.

Last edited:
Likes Demystifier
This seems to be for "free tachyon" fields only. It's well known, that with free tachyons there are no problems with causality etc. The trouble starts when trying to make them interacting to be observable in our world of the "Standard Model". Then you rather get massive particles as excitations around a minimum of the effective (quantum) action with a non-vanishing VEV of the field.

Likes Demystifier
This is not Tachyon condensation but just the usual case of a massive particle, described by a field with a non-vanishing vacuum expectation value.

vanhees71 said:
This is not Tachyon condensation but just the usual case of a massive particle, described by a field with a non-vanishing vacuum expectation value.
Well, some physicists call it tachyon condensation.

These are all theoretical problems, and I think (hope?) we all agree that if tachyons were discovered some theoretical revisions are likely. This is also why I think it's unlikely that tachyons are real - they dont just break one thing, they break lots and lots. Doesn't mean we shouldn't look, but it probably means that booking your tickets to Stockholm the day your experiment gets approved is a little premature.

What does a conserved charge even mean for a spacelike worldline?

Yes, there are loopholes in the literature, and as I said I am working on a paper describing how to close one of the biggies. But don't want to discuss it here, especially while it is still half-baked. I think the situation is as I described it: there are lots of theoretical problems, none of which are air-tight, but the combination seems to be pointing us in a certain direction: there aren't any, or at least if there are they are sterile. Experiment is pointing in more or less the same direction: there aren't many, maybe not any, and if they exist, they interact with matter weakly and in a highly constrained way - and may be sterile.

But "there seem not to be any:" and "there can't be any" are not the same thing. Nor is "we don't have a clear idea how they would behave in a consistent manner" the same as "they can't exist".

Likes vanhees71

1. Why is the speed of light considered to be the fastest possible speed?

The speed of light is considered to be the fastest possible speed because it is the maximum speed at which energy, information, or matter can travel in the universe. This is due to the fundamental laws of physics, specifically Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

2. Can anything travel faster than light?

Based on our current understanding of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. The speed of light is considered to be a universal speed limit, and any object that approaches or exceeds this speed would require infinite energy, which is impossible.

3. Why is it impossible for anything to move faster than the speed of light?

As mentioned before, the speed of light is considered to be a universal speed limit because of the laws of physics. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to accelerate any further.

4. Is there any evidence that supports the idea of nothing being faster than light?

Yes, there is a significant amount of evidence that supports the idea of nothing being faster than light. One of the most famous examples is the Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that the speed of light is constant in all directions. Additionally, many other experiments and observations in physics have consistently shown that the speed of light is the maximum speed in the universe.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that nothing can travel faster than light?

There are currently no known exceptions to the rule that nothing can travel faster than light. However, there are some phenomena, such as quantum entanglement, that may appear to violate this rule. Still, they do not involve the actual transfer of information or matter faster than the speed of light. Scientists continue to study and explore the laws of physics to understand the universe better and potentially discover any exceptions to this rule.