Register to reply

Difficulty level of pre-IPhO exams in india.

by n10Newton
Tags: difficulty, exams, india, preipho
Share this thread:
mishrashubham
Jan21-13, 06:26 AM
P: 605
Quote Quote by n10Newton View Post
only 3 students from Bihar were selected in First test.(Indian system take view on application not population 1000 application then 1)
Yes, I suppose that explains the numbers.

Quote Quote by snorkack View Post
Ah, thanks.

So a single stage to select 300 out of 3 to 5 lakhs. Just 1 out of 1000 or 1700 gets ahead.

How did you fare at the Olympiad?
Um yes that's it. I appeared for Physics, Chemistry and Biology olympiads but qualified only for Biology (although I was confident that I'd get through chemistry as well). The next level in on the 3rd of February.
sambarbarian
Apr25-13, 10:06 AM
P: 68
I will , I love physics .

udergraduate in physics , that is ...
consciousness
May2-13, 11:40 AM
P: 125
Quote Quote by n10Newton View Post
Also in India Physics Olympiad is just a joke, just an Exam. because no one going to take Undergraduate in Physics.

You may not know it but some people don't just view physics as a ladder for a better life and to do engineering in foreign universities. To some Physics is something more. Even in India.
snorkack
May2-13, 12:51 PM
P: 386
Quote Quote by mishrashubham View Post
I appeared for Physics, Chemistry and Biology olympiads but qualified only for Biology (although I was confident that I'd get through chemistry as well). The next level in on the 3rd of February.
How did you fare?
Viru.universe
May8-13, 09:12 AM
P: 28
Hey guyies, m new to this topic, i'm also from india
and m currently preparing for iit jee, finished my 12th this year, i'm very much interested in physics and want to study physics all the way till phd,
can i know what is this nsep exam all about? Just a brief introduction
snorkack
May9-13, 04:16 AM
P: 386
Quote Quote by Viru.universe View Post
Hey guyies, m new to this topic, i'm also from india
and m currently preparing for iit jee, finished my 12th this year, i'm very much interested in physics and want to study physics all the way till phd,
can i know what is this nsep exam all about? Just a brief introduction
Too late for you. The olympiads are intended for children who are still in high school.

IŽll again present a comparison from my country.

In this spring, the total number of 12th year graduates in my country is about 12 000.
The total number of vacancies in the physics departments, between 3 universities, is 120.

Based on the local physics olympiads held in January, the national jury invited 120 students to the national competition.

Of these 120, 11 did not show up. In my country, there were 2 different exams, held at the same time. One for high school, one for junior high (intended as years 8 and 9). It was possible for junior high students to opt to sit the high school exams. 2 of them did so, thus there were 59 participants in high school exam, and 50 in the junior high exam.

The number of participants by year was:
29 in year 12
13 in year 11
15 in year 10
the 2 junior high students (one from year 9 and the other from 8) who competed in high school exam both fared ahead of whole year 10
32 in year 9
17 in year 8
1 year 7 student on junior high exam, got place 8 from 18 8th year students

Based on the results, the candidates for the international olympiad were selected - 1 place given for certain, and 21 candidates for the other 4 places, to be decided by extra exam after a training camp.

The certain representative was 12th year (and won the whole high school).
The 21 candidates were:
11 from year 12
4 from year 11
3 from year 10
1 year 9 competing in high school
1 year 8 competing in high school
1 year 9 competing in junior high (the junior high winner)

So... over the whole India, just 35 students get invited to extra training?
consciousness
May9-13, 04:51 AM
P: 125
Quote Quote by snorkack View Post

So... over the whole India, just 35 students get invited to extra training?
Yes unfotunately-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...ion_in_Physics

Most of those selected are rankers in IITJEE proving that performers in physics can perform in chemistry and mathematics also!. India team is quite strong some students win gold medals also.

Register to reply