How can I prepare for the IPhO/APhO and collaborate with others?

• Studying
  • Thread starter PhysicsChemMath
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is from Singapore and currently in 11th grade. They have been participating in competitive physics since 9th grade and are preparing for the senior physics olympiad, which will determine if they make it to national training and potentially the IPhO/APhO. They have also won a gold medal at the Singapore Junior Physics Olympiad. The speaker has a strong foundation in introductory physics and has been using specialized books for topics like electromagnetism and classical mechanics. They are dedicated to achieving their goal and are looking for advice and collaboration from others who have participated in the international olympiads. They find the olympiads a way to test their own capabilities and meet others who share their love for physics
PhysicsChemMath
Hey guys, I'm from Singapore and currently in J1(11th grade). I've been doing competitive physics since I was in Sec 3( 9th Grade) and am going to be participating in the senior physics olympiad, which will determine whether I go for national training, which will determine whether I go for IPhO/APhO or not. I've also won a gold medal at the Singapore Junior Physics Olympiad, just for some background.

Basically, what I've covered thus far includes everything in introductory physics and everything in single variable calculus and multivariable calculus, with quite a large bit of differential equations. I left out some parts of differential equations purposely because, even though I want to learn them, I want to stay quite focused on physics olympaid and what is required for that. As I've said before, my introductory physics is very solid and I've moved quite a bit into specialized books for each topic. That is, I'm using specific books for electromagnetism, classical mechanics etc. I'm also in the habit of doing loads and loads of problems, so I'm not afraid of putting in effort in order to achieve my goal. Based on the above information, I have three questions;

1. What else do I need to do in order to make sure that I do make it into the IPhO/APhO team from my country, given the fact that I have to be at that level by the time I go for national training, which will be sometime in January this year, assuming I get past the senior olympiad first?

2. Is there any Singaporean on this website who is also going to go for physics olympiad and wants to do a collaboration with me? (Message me for details)

3. Lastly, would it be possible for anyone who has formerly participated in IPhO and APhO to correspond with me privately so I can discuss a couple of things and ask questions as and when I may need help? Currently, I have no one to turn to for help when I reach a conceptual roadblock or a problem solving roadblock(these occur more often than the former) and it would be absolutely brilliant if someone could help me.

I'm dedicated to getting into the teams because I'm a competitive person and also because I love physics. I do consider the international olympiads as a way to test my own capability as a physics lover and to also meet other people who love the subject just as much as I do and are not afraid to show it.

hey there i know its very late i am from Singapore and i am currently studying for the junior physics Olympiad already have the basic physics calculus differential equation in place also have i have tried doing the past year SJPO papers is it very hard to get gold in SJPO because i have not participated before when i tried the general round paper i am quite sure i can get above at least 40 is that enough to get me to special round please help me as i don't know what to expect i tried the special round too able to do like 8 to 10 questions out of 12 having a lot of problems with special relativity and slight problems with electronics what should i do please help and by the way did you make it to ipho please share your experience thanks!

What is IPhO/APhO?

IPhO (International Physics Olympiad) and APhO (Asian Physics Olympiad) are annual international physics competitions for high school students. These competitions aim to promote interest in physics and recognize exceptional talent in the field.

Who is eligible to participate in IPhO/APhO?

Only students who are currently enrolled in high school (or equivalent) and have not yet started university are eligible to participate in IPhO/APhO. There are also age restrictions, typically between 15-19 years old.

How can I prepare for IPhO/APhO?

To prepare for IPhO/APhO, it is important to have a strong foundation in physics concepts and problem-solving skills. You can also practice with past competition questions and participate in training programs or camps organized by your national physics olympiad committee.

How are participants selected for IPhO/APhO?

Participants are typically selected through a series of national physics olympiad exams. These exams may be organized by schools, universities, or physics societies. The top-performing students in these exams are then chosen to represent their country in IPhO/APhO.

What are the benefits of participating in IPhO/APhO?

Participating in IPhO/APhO can provide a unique opportunity to compete with other talented physics students from around the world, learn from renowned physicists, and potentially earn recognition and prizes. It can also be a valuable addition to college applications and can open doors to future academic and career opportunities.