Recommend a good basic book on Biology?

In summary, the individual has been searching for a book that will give them a basic understanding of biology, specifically in regards to DNA and evolution. They are looking for a book with simple explanations and illustrations, and preferably not too expensive. They mention two recommended books – Audesirk's "Biology: Life on Earth" and Starr and Taggart's "Biology: The Unity and Diversity of Life" – and also mention the option of using free courseware. The individual also considers purchasing an ebook reader and downloading biology books. Another recommendation is "The Cartoon Guide to Genetics" for a basic understanding of genetics, and "Molecular Biology of the Gene" by Watson et al. for a more comprehensive understanding. Price is a factor for
Pithikos
Hi, I have been looking through amazon all night reading reviews and I am baffled about which book I need :confused:

I study Computer Science at bachelor level and recently got an interest into biology(not sure which kind). I want to be able to read an article or a forum's post on for example DNA and evolution and understand all the buzzwords like enzymes, chromosomes, DNA, RNA, mutations etc. I have taken some biology at elementary school but I don't remember much.

Is there a book with simple words and illustrations that can make me understand all these things? Probably something that doesn't use words that are not explained in the book. Something not too thick and costly is also a plus.

Likes James M
Physics news on Phys.org
Use free courses or, if you only want a BASIC, fundamental introduction to biology, I'd recommend these books:

Audesirk, Biology: Life on Earth
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321598466/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Starr, Taggart, Biology: The Unity and Diversity of Life
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0495557927/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Note that both of them are quite basic, if you want a more complex introductory biology book you should look up for Solomon or Campbell's Biology

Last edited by a moderator:
Free courseware is good but I already spend a lot of my time in front of the computer so would prefer something I can read when I am in the toilet or on the couch.

The two books mentioned look good but not cheap. I have started considering maybe buying an ebook reader instead and just download a bunch of biology books..

I recently got into bioinformatics/genomics with a minimal (i.e. non-existent) background in biology.

If you're interested in learning more about genetics I'd recommend The Cartoon Guide to Genetics for a very basic introduction to most of the big terms. It's a short and entertaining read. For a more comprehensive understanding, I'd recommend Molecular Biology of the Gene by Watson et al. I really liked the introductory chapter, it starts from scratch and goes through the history of genetics. I didn't know anything about biology and I didn't feel lost at all, there was little assumed knowledge besides some basic knowledge of chemistry and cell structure. Also, I always found the later chapters to be more than detailed enough for my needs. It's quite a hefty read though and can get dry and boring.

I might be a little biased as I was able to borrow these two out of my library so price wasn't a factor.

1. What is the best basic book on Biology for beginners?

The best basic book on Biology for beginners is "Biology: A Global Approach" by Neil A. Campbell and Jane B. Reece. It provides a comprehensive overview of biological concepts and is written in a clear and understandable manner.

2. Is there a specific edition or version of the book that is recommended?

The 11th edition of "Biology: A Global Approach" is the most recent version and is recommended as it includes updated information and illustrations.

3. Does the book include any interactive elements or online resources?

Yes, "Biology: A Global Approach" includes access to MasteringBiology, an online platform that provides interactive activities, quizzes, and study materials to enhance learning.

4. Are there any alternative books that are also recommended for learning basic Biology?

Other highly recommended books for learning basic Biology include "Biology" by Sylvia S. Mader and "Essential Cell Biology" by Bruce Alberts, et al. Both books are well-written and cover important biological concepts.

5. Can this book be used as a reference for more advanced studies in Biology?

Although "Biology: A Global Approach" is a basic book, it can also serve as a useful reference for more advanced studies in Biology. It covers fundamental concepts that are essential for understanding more complex topics in the field.