Book recommendations read for genetics, evolution, and neurobiology

In summary, the conversation involved a CS major college student expressing their interest in biology, specifically genetics, evolution, and neurobiology. They were looking for book recommendations that were not too basic but also not too detailed. One person recommended a math book and another recommended two books on evolutionary neurobiology. The student expressed gratitude for the recommendations.
CuriousPhilosopher
Hello everyone,
So I'm a CS major college student. I've always been interested in biology, especially evolution and genetics; but recently I've been really interested in neurobiology. I read a lot from all kind of stuff and I thought I could read some books on these subjects. What I'm looking for isn't a popular science book with random information, yet not a detailed textbook. I'm looking for something in the middle. I have experience in reading physics/math books like this but never been around any biology books.
What would you recommend to read for genetics, evolution, and neurobiology?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know any books for genetics and what not, but here's another math one for you:

Things to Make and Do int he Fourth Dimension by Matt Parker

It's hilarious and entertaining and my favorite.

Likes CuriousPhilosopher

1. What are some good books to read about genetics?

Some highly recommended books on genetics include "The Gene: An Intimate History" by Siddhartha Mukherjee, "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins, and "Genome: The Autobiography of a Species in 23 Chapters" by Matt Ridley. These books provide a comprehensive and engaging overview of the field of genetics.

2. Can you recommend any books about evolution?

For a thorough understanding of evolution, "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin is a must-read. Other popular books include "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins and "Why Evolution is True" by Jerry A. Coyne. These books cover various aspects of evolution and provide thought-provoking insights.

3. What are some good book recommendations for learning about neurobiology?

Some highly recommended books on neurobiology include "The Brain: The Story of You" by David Eagleman, "The Tell-Tale Brain" by V.S. Ramachandran, and "Phantoms in the Brain" by Sandra Blakeslee and V.S. Ramachandran. These books provide a fascinating look into the inner workings of the brain and its impact on our behavior and perception.

4. Are there any books that cover all three topics of genetics, evolution, and neurobiology?

Yes, there are a few books that touch upon all three topics. "Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst" by Robert Sapolsky and "The Violinist's Thumb: And Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, as Written by Our Genetic Code" by Sam Kean are both excellent options that cover genetics, evolution, and neurobiology in an entertaining and informative manner.

5. Do you have any book recommendations for beginners in these fields?

For beginners, "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson is a great introduction to the fields of genetics, evolution, and neurobiology. "The Greatest Show on Earth" by Richard Dawkins and "The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge are also highly recommended for those looking for an accessible and engaging read on these topics.