Studying Modern Physics, need book recommendations

• Relativity
  • Thread starter Slimy0233
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modern physics
In summary, the individual is studying for an Masters Entrance exam in India called IIT JAM and is in need of a book for Modern Physics. They have been recommended several books for Quantum Physics, but they are looking for a book that covers all of Modern Physics. Some suggestions for this include Modern Physics by Kenneth S Krane and Concepts of Modern Physics by Beiser, Mahajan, and Choudhury. They also mention a book called Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler for Special Relativity and Basic Concepts of Quantum Mechanics by Tarasov for quantum mechanics. However, the individual mentions that the price of this book is too high in India.
Slimy0233
I am studying for an Masters Entrance exam called IIT JAM in India and this is my syllabus for Modern Physics.
1685607429644.png

I would be grateful to you if you were to point out a book
  1. Easy to read and understand
  2. Good for a beginner in Modern Physics
  3. Good illustrations and examples (if possible)
  4. Which has a solution manual (if possible)

So far, people have recommended me books for Quantum Physics like
  1. Quantum Mechanics by David McIntyre
  2. Principles of Quantum Mechanics by R. Shankar
  3. Quantum Mechanics by HC Verma
  4. Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications by Zettiki ( I have heard it has many solved examples and I love that)

I doubt if any of these would cover all of Modern Physics, so I am looking at books like
  1. Modern Physics by Kenneth S Krane
  2. Concepts of Modern Physics: Beiser, Mahajan, Choudhury
  3. Berkley lectures ?

Physics news on Phys.org
For Special relativity, I suggest Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler, The Maroon edition.
For quantum mechanics, checkout Basic Concepts of Quantum Mechanics by Tarasov.

For the rest of the topics any Modern Physics book should do fine.

Last edited:
madscientist_93 said:
For Special relativity, I suggest Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler, The Maroon edition.
For quantum mechanics, checkout https://archive.org/details/tarasov-basic-concepts-of-quantum-mechanics-2021.

For the rest of the topics any Modern Physics book should do fine.
Unfortunately, the price of this book is too much here in India. I am broke enough to know I ain't buying it this decade.

Thanks for the reply tho!

Edit: And thanks for the book! :)

1. What are the best books for studying modern physics?

There are many great books for studying modern physics, but some popular choices include "Introduction to Modern Physics" by John Dirk Walecka, "Modern Physics" by Kenneth S. Krane, and "Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by John Taylor and Chris Zafiratos.

2. Are there any books specifically for beginners in modern physics?

Yes, there are several books that are designed for beginners in modern physics. Some recommended titles include "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser, "Modern Physics: The Quantum Physics of Atoms, Solids, and Nuclei" by Robert Eisberg and Robert Resnick, and "Modern Physics: An Introductory Text" by Mark Llewellyn.

3. Are there any online resources for studying modern physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for studying modern physics. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. Additionally, many universities and professors have online lecture notes and resources for their modern physics courses.

4. Can you recommend any books that cover both classical and modern physics?

Yes, there are several books that cover both classical and modern physics. Some popular choices include "Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by John Taylor and Chris Zafiratos, "Modern Physics: The Quantum Physics of Atoms, Solids, and Nuclei" by Robert Eisberg and Robert Resnick, and "Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Stephen T. Thornton and Andrew Rex.

5. Are there any books that focus on specific topics in modern physics?

Yes, there are many books that focus on specific topics in modern physics, such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics. Some recommended titles include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "The Particle at the End of the Universe" by Sean Carroll.