by matematikuvol
Tags: linear, operator
Share this thread:
matematikuvol
Feb18-13, 03:09 PM
P: 192
Linear operator A is defined as
[tex]A(C_1f(x)+C_2g(x))=C_1Af(x)+C_2Ag(x)[/tex]
Question. Is A=5 a linear operator? I know that this is just number but it satisfy relation
[tex]5(C_1f(x)+C_2g(x))=C_15f(x)+C_25g(x)[/tex]
but it is also scalar.
Is function ##A=x## linear operator? It also satisfy
[tex]x(C_1f(x)+C_2g(x))=C_1xf(x)+C_2xg(x)[/tex]
Thanks for the answer!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Bacle2
Feb18-13, 03:16 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,172
I can't understand what you're doing; I would think the operator A takes every function
f(x) into the number 5.

I think if you clearly specify your domain and codomain, you will see things more

clearly.
matematikuvol
Feb18-13, 03:24 PM
I define A as multiplicative operator clearly.

Ferramentarius
Feb18-13, 03:54 PM
P: 22
Linear operator

x → cx, where c is a constant, is a linear map.
Fredrik
Feb18-13, 04:14 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,523
Quote Quote by matematikuvol View Post
Linear operator A is defined as
[tex]A(C_1f(x)+C_2g(x))=C_1Af(x)+C_2Ag(x)[/tex]
This should be
[tex]A(C_1f+C_2g)=C_1Af+C_2Ag.[/tex] f and g are functions. f(x) and g(x) are elements of their codomains. What the equality means is that for all x,
[tex](A(C_1f+C_2g))(x)=(C_1Af+C_2Ag)(x)=C_1(Af)(x)+C_2(Ag)(x).[/tex]
Question. Is A=5 a linear operator?
The number 5 isn't, but the map ##x\mapsto 5## is. For every real number t, there's a "constant function" ##C_t:\mathbb R\to\mathbb R## defined by ##C_t(x)=t## for all ##x\in\mathbb R##. These functions are linear operators on ℝ.

Edit 2: OK, I see now that the A you had in mind was something different. Suppose that V is some vector space over ℝ, whose elements are functions with a common domain D. I'll assume that D=ℝ. Define ##A:V\to V## by ##Af=5f## for all f. You can easily show that this A is linear using the same method as in my other edit below.

Is function ##A=x## linear operator?
I wouldn't write that definition like that. x is a variable (that typically represents a real number, not a function). You want to define A as the map ##x\mapsto x##. This is called "the identity map". It's sometimes denoted by I or id, and shouldn't be denoted by x. The proper way to define A as the identity map without using those notations is to say this: Define ##A:\mathbb R\to\mathbb R## by A(x)=x for all ##x\in\mathbb R##.

Yes, the identity map on ℝ is a linear operator on ℝ. The identity map on any vector space is a linear operator on that vector space.

Edit: I see now that that's not the A you had in mind. I stopped reading at "A=x", and assumed that you were denoting the identity map by x. Suppose that V is some vector space over ℝ, whose elements are functions with a common domain D. I'll assume that D=ℝ. Define ##A:V\to V## by saying that for all ##f\in V##, ##Af## is the map from V into V defined by ##Af(x)=xf(x)## for all ##x\in\mathbb R##. (Note that A acts on f, not on f(x). I sometimes use the notation (Af)(x) instead of Af(x) to make that clear. This shouldn't be necessary, since A isn't defined to act on the number f(x), but students often fail to see that). Let ##a,b\in\mathbb R## be arbitrary. For A to be linear, we must have
$$A(af+bg)=aAf+bAg.$$ To see if this holds, let ##x\in\mathbb R## be arbitrary. We have
$$A(af+bg)(x) = x(af+bg)(x) =x(af(x)+bg(x)) =axf(x)+bxg(x) =aAf(x)+bAg(x) =(aAf+bAg)(x).$$ Since x is arbitrary, this implies that ##A(af+bg)=aAf+bAg##. Since a,b are arbitrary, this means that A is linear.
matematikuvol
Feb18-13, 04:38 PM
Sorry but I think that you didn't read my post. I defined multiplication operator
which goes from ##f## to ##5f##.
Fredrik
Feb18-13, 04:42 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,523
Sorry but I think that you didn't read my post. I defined multiplication operator
which goes from ##f## to ##5f##.
OK, I'll edit that part too.

Edit: My first edit of my previous post, at the end of the post, was made before you made post #6. The one marked "Edit 2" was made after I read your reply.

Register to reply