• I
  • Thread starter Expiring
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
Expiring
TL;DR Summary
I was wondering if anyone could look over my solution to the question

"How many different binary operations on a set S with n elements have the property that for all x ∈ S, x * x = x ?"
Hello all,

The question I am tackling is as follows:

How many different binary operations on a set S with n elements have the property that for all x ∈ S, x * x = x ?

I was wondering if any of you could look over my solution and tell me if my logic is correct.

Solution:

Thinking of all the possible operations as entries on an n x n matrix, the entries x * x would lie on the diagonal of the matrix. The total number of entries in the matrix would be n^2, and, since the elements on the diagonal of the matrix (the elements x * x) have a pre-determined value (and there are n of these elements), the number of elements that we need to map would total n^2 - n.

So, when when we map n^2 - n elements to n elements, there will be n^(n^2 - n) total binary operations.

Any feedback would be great!

Likes Bosko and Hill
Physics news on Phys.org
Very good. makes sense to me.

Expiring said:
I was wondering if any of you could look over my solution and tell me if my logic is correct.
Yes, you are right. ##n^{n(n-1)}## is the solution , if there no any other constraint on the binary operation *.
There are n(n-1) places in the matrix that are not on the diagonal.
On any of them you can put any of n elements of the set S.

What is a binary operation?

A binary operation on a set is a calculation that combines two elements of the set to produce another element of the set. For example, addition and multiplication are binary operations on the set of integers.

How many binary operations can be defined on a set?

The number of possible binary operations on a set of n elements is \( n^{n^2} \). This is because for each pair of elements (a, b) in the set, there are n possible results for the operation (a * b), and there are \( n^2 \) such pairs.

What does it mean for a binary operation to have a special property?

A binary operation might have a special property such as being associative, commutative, or having an identity element. For example, an operation is associative if for all elements a, b, and c in the set, the equation (a * b) * c = a * (b * c) holds.

How does the presence of a special property affect the number of binary operations?

The presence of a special property can significantly reduce the number of valid binary operations. For instance, requiring the operation to be associative narrows down the possibilities, as not all arbitrary operations will satisfy this condition.

Can you give an example of calculating binary operations with a special property on a set?

Consider a set with three elements {a, b, c}. If we require the binary operation to be commutative (i.e., a * b = b * a), we need to define the operation only for pairs (a, b), (a, c), (b, c), and all single pairs (a, a), (b, b), (c, c). Each of these pairs can still have any of the three elements as a result, so there are \( 3^6 = 729 \) possible commutative binary operations on this set.