Register to reply

Question in regards to Permutation matrices, basis, and non linear functions

by SupaNerd
Tags: basis, functions, linear, matrices, permutation
Share this thread:
SupaNerd
May6-05, 02:13 AM
P: 1
Hey thanks again, figured these questions out!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
kleinwolf
May6-05, 04:06 AM
P: 309
Quote Quote by SupaNerd

1) Find a basis of R^4 that contains the vectors [ 1 2 3 4 ] and [ 0 1 0 1].
Note, they are both column vectors but I do not know how to orient them on this site.
let e_1 and e_2 be the 2 vectors you gave.

obviously e_1 and e_2 are lin. indep, so it's possible...just take orthogonal vectors to the previous ones.

But you could just use : e_3=[1 0 0 0] and e_4=[0 0 1 0]...it's obvious that e_1,e_2,e_3 are pairwise orthogonal, hence lin. indep.....combining e_2,e_3,e_4 as you want will give you always a vector of the type [c b d b] hence you cannot express e_1 as a combintation of the others, so the e_i are lin. indep....clearly it's a generating subset of R^4...so it's a basis.

2) Find a non linear function f : R^2 ---- > R^2
that still satisfies,
f(rv) = rf(v) for all r and all v.
if f is a function on R^2, then f is a function of 2 variables : f=f(x,y)...you gave only 1 variable for the condition on f.

3) I think it's clear that applying a permutation matrix on an n vector a=[a1...an] corresponds to a permutation of the elements of the vector ?

b=M1*a

Apply a second permutation matrice on b : c=M2*b since c is permutation of b and b a permutation of a, then since the permuation are building a group, c is a permutation of a..hence there exists a permutation matrix M3 such that
c=M3*a...but from above c=M2*M1*a....for all a...then M3=M2*M1...

(This is not a good proof but I cannot think of a brute force computation of direct multipl of two perm. matrices defined as having a 1, and only 1, in every row and column)

Register to reply