What subspace of 3x3 matrices is spanned by rank 1 matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether the rank 1 matrices also span the space of all 3x3 matrices. The answer is yes, as shown by the minimum elements needed to create any and all rank 1 matrices. The conversation also discusses the set of rank one matrices and its relation to linear subspaces. Ultimately, it is concluded that the usual basis of all 3x3 matrices contains only rank one matrices and that the non-linear cone described in the conversation is unlikely to lie in any hyperplane.
kostoglotov
So that's the question in the text.

I having some issues I think with actually just comprehending what the question is asking me for.

The texts answer is: all 3x3 matrices.

My answer and reasoning is:

the basis of the subspace of all rank 1 matrices is made up of the basis elements

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & 1\\ 0 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 & 0\\ 1 & 1 & 1\\ 0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 0\\ 1 & 1 & 1\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0\\ 1 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0\\ 0 & 1 & 0\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

I figure these are the minimum elements you need to create any and all rank 1 matrices. By linearly combining these matrices you can make all rank 1 matrices...why do the rank 1 matrices also span the space of all 3x3 matrices?

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the rank 1 matrices:
##\begin{bmatrix} 1&0&0\\0&0&0\\0&0&0 \end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix} 0&0&0\\0&1&0\\0&0&0 \end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix} 0&0&0\\0&0&0\\0&0&1 \end{bmatrix}.##
Sum the three of these, what do you get?
This matrix is clearly in the space of all 3x3 matrices, since any 3x3 matrix multiplied by it will still be in the space of 3x3 matrices.

Likes Daeho Ro and kostoglotov
I guess I misunderstood the question, as I thought you wanted to describe the set of rank one matrices, which of course does not consitute a linear subspace, but rather a cone, (minus the vertex zero). Since such matrices are determined by their image which is spanned by one vector, plus the linear function mapping each source vector to a multiple of that vector, they are all products of form v.wperp, where v,w are column vectors. I.e. dotting with w takes a vector to a number,a nd then multiplying that number by v, takes it to a vector in the line spanned by v. However we can multiply through by t and 1/t and get the same map. So this cone seems to have dimension 2n-1, or 5, inside the 9 dimensional space of 3x3 matrices.

However if you really just want to know what matrices can be written as linear combinations of matrices of rank one, well, that is easily shown to all 3x3 matrices, using the hints in the previous post, i.e. the usual basis of all 3x3 matrices contains only rank one matrices. Intuitively it is also unlikely that the non linear cone just described would lie in any hyperplane.

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the properties of a vector space, including closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What does it mean for a matrix to have rank 1?

A matrix has rank 1 if all of its rows or columns are scalar multiples of each other, meaning that the matrix can be reduced to a single row or column vector.

3. How do you determine the subspace of 3x3 matrices spanned by rank 1 matrices?

The subspace of 3x3 matrices spanned by rank 1 matrices can be determined by finding the set of all possible linear combinations of rank 1 matrices. This set will form a subspace of the vector space of 3x3 matrices.

4. Can a subspace of 3x3 matrices spanned by rank 1 matrices contain matrices with rank higher than 1?

No, a subspace of 3x3 matrices spanned by rank 1 matrices will only contain matrices with rank 1. This is because the span of a set of vectors cannot contain vectors that are not linear combinations of the original set.

5. What is the practical application of finding the subspace of 3x3 matrices spanned by rank 1 matrices?

Finding the subspace of 3x3 matrices spanned by rank 1 matrices can help in understanding the structure of a set of matrices and can also be used in various fields such as image processing, signal processing, and machine learning.