Understanding the concepts of isometric basis and musical isomorphism

In summary, the individual is new to the terminologies of isometric basis and musical isomorphism and is seeking a simple explanation. They are specifically interested in finding a dual basis in the vector space E and the corresponding isometric basis for the musical isomorphism between E and E*. They have found the dual basis using the property (v*)^i(v_j) = δ_ij and are now asking for a definition of the isometric basis and musical isomorphism. They also mention the possibility of it being a "cannonical" isomorphism, possibly related to the use of sharp and flat symbols.
KungFu
TL;DR Summary
I want to find the isometric basis corresponding to the musical isomorphism between the vector space E = ##R^3## and its dual space ##E^* = (R^3)^*) ## .
Im very new to the terminologies of isometric basis and musical isomorphism, will appreciate a lot if someone could explain this for me in a simple way for a guy with limited experience in this field.

The concrete problem I want to figure out is this:
Given:
Let ##v_1 = (1,0,0) , v_2 = (1,1,0), v_3 = (0,1,1)## be a basis in the vector space ##E = R^3##

problem:
Find a dual basis to ##{v_1,v_2,v_3} ## in ##E^*## = ##(R^3)^*## and the isometric basis corresponding to the musical isomorphism between E and E*.

I have found the dual basis: I did this by using the property ##(v^*)^i(v_j) = \delta_{ij}##, where ##(v^*)^i## is the ith covector in the dual basis.
I represent the dual basis as a linear combination of the orthonormal basis in ##(R^3)^*##, the dual basis is then
##(v_1)^* = (1,-1,1)##, ##(v_2)^* = (0,1,-1)## and ##(v_3)^* = (0,0,1) ##

now, to my question : how is the isometric basis corresponding to the musical isomorphism between E and ##E^*## defined ?
and even more basic : what do we mean be an isometric basis, and what do we mean by a musical isomorphism, you can as well try to explain what an isomorphism is first, in simple words ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
What is a musical isomorphism?
Perhaps it's a "cannonical" isomorphism, seeing as a "cannon" is a musical form.

fresh_42 said:
What is a musical isomorphism?
What the physicists call the rising and lowering indices. The two maps are often denoted by the sharp and flat symbols.

1. What is an isometric basis?

An isometric basis is a set of musical elements that can be transformed into each other through isometric transformations, such as rotation, reflection, and translation. These transformations preserve the musical structure and relationships within the basis.

2. How is an isometric basis different from a traditional musical scale or mode?

An isometric basis differs from a traditional scale or mode in that it is not limited to a specific set of notes or intervals. Instead, it is a more abstract representation of musical relationships that can be applied to any set of musical elements.

3. What is musical isomorphism?

Musical isomorphism is the concept of mapping musical elements onto other elements in a way that preserves their relationships. This can be done through isometric transformations, as well as other mathematical operations such as scaling and stretching.

4. How can understanding isometric basis and musical isomorphism benefit musicians?

Understanding isometric basis and musical isomorphism can benefit musicians by providing them with a deeper understanding of the underlying structures and relationships within music. This can help with composition, improvisation, and overall musical fluency.

5. Are there any real-world applications of isometric basis and musical isomorphism?

Yes, isometric basis and musical isomorphism have been used in various musical compositions and arrangements, as well as in music theory and analysis. They have also been applied in other fields, such as computer music and audio signal processing.