quadrupole-quadrupole interaction?

by neo143
Tags: interaction, quadrupolequadrupole
neo143
Nov21-05, 05:16 AM
P: 29
Could anyone please tell me how to calculate quadrupole quadrupole interaction between two molecules having dipole moment zero? As quadrupole is a tensor quantity I get a 3*3 matrix for a molecule.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
kleinwolf
Nov22-05, 06:26 AM
P: 309
I don't know much about quadrupole. Which kind of molecule are you treating, does it suffice to have 3 atoms ?
neo143
Nov22-05, 10:04 AM
suppose the molecule is benzene???

reilly
Nov23-05, 07:59 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,082

quadrupole-quadrupole interaction?

One sure-fire way is to work with multipole expansions. Expand both field and molecular charge distribution in spherical harmonics -- the quadrapole moment is the coefficient of Y(L=2, M; theta, phi) This might be done in Jackson, and surely is done in books on nuclear physics, and on angular momentum (Edmunds, Angular momentum in QM.)
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson
Meir Achuz
Nov27-05, 05:01 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,937
The answer is a bit messy, even for symmetric quadrupoles.
I give it here for two symmetric quadrupoles Q and Q' with symmetry axes k and k' a distance r apart. k,k,r are all vectors and Q and Q' are the Qzz component of the Q tensor (with Qxx=Qyy=-Qzz/2).
The energy is
U=(3QQ'/4r^5)[35(k.r)^2(k'.r)^2-20(k'.r)(k.r)(k.k')+2(k.k')^2+(k.k')].
(The k,k',r in the square bracket are all unit vectors.)
I got this by combining Eqs. (2.118) and (2.112) in "Classical Electromagnetism" by Franklin (Addison Wesley).
kleinwolf
Nov28-05, 10:23 AM
P: 309
Did sdy know if we take ponctual charges, it is clear that 2 are building what is called a dipole...but do 3 point charges suffice to have non-vanishing quadrupole moment ?? Oh..sorry, this is not quantum atomics..
Meir Achuz
Nov28-05, 04:39 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,937
Even two point charges can have a quad moment. If you want the system to be neutral, at least three charges are needed.
neo143
Dec6-05, 09:04 AM
Thanks Meir for the reply,
I have one more doubt. Suppose I want to calculate quadrupole moment interaction between two symmetrical molecules(with Qxx=Qyy=-Qzz/2).Rest of the components are zero. Should I consider every possible pair of quadrupole moments for two molecules?
like xx for the first molecule and xx for the second
then xx for the first and yy for the second
then xx for the first and zz for the second
.............and so on....total terms will be 9.

Thanks once again
Regards
azag
Dec6-10, 10:10 AM
P: 1
Quote Quote by Meir Achuz View Post
The answer is a bit messy, even for symmetric quadrupoles.
I give it here for two symmetric quadrupoles Q and Q' with symmetry axes k and k' a distance r apart. k,k,r are all vectors and Q and Q' are the Qzz component of the Q tensor (with Qxx=Qyy=-Qzz/2).
The energy is
U=(3QQ'/4r^5)[35(k.r)^2(k'.r)^2-20(k'.r)(k.r)(k.k')+2(k.k')^2+(k.k')].
(The k,k',r in the square bracket are all unit vectors.)
I got this by combining Eqs. (2.118) and (2.112) in "Classical Electromagnetism" by Franklin (Addison Wesley).
I believe there is a mistake in that formula. By combining those two mentioned formulas in Franklin's book, I got
U=(3QQ'/4r^5)[35(k.r)^2(k'.r)^2-20(k'.r)(k.r)(k.k')-5(k.r)^2-5(k'.r)^2+2(k.k')^2+1]
which differs a bit. I checked it on two parallel and two crossed model linear quadrupoles. While for parallel case both formulas give same result, for crossed case my gives non-zero interaction and Meir's gives zero interaction. Calculating the energy by simple Coulomb's law one gets non-zero interaction.
Vanadium 50
Dec6-10, 11:27 AM
Mentor
P: 15,619
Thanks for the correction, but this post is 5 years old.

Register to reply