Electric dipole moment of the nucleus of an atom

In summary, the man is praying for luck in winning the lottery several times, but it seems like his prayers are not being answered. Then, one day, he prays with more fervor, and his prayers are answered.
tamir
TL;DR Summary
Why is the electric dipole moment of the nucleus of an atom equal zero?
Summary: Why is the electric dipole moment of the nucleus of an atom equal zero?

Summary: Why is the electric dipole moment of the nucleus of an atom equal zero?

I read about the hyperfine interactions that cause the altering of the energy levels of the nuclues of an atom. Under the discussion about monopole and quadrupole interactions, the term of the dipole moment interaction was determined to be zero because the nucleus has no electric dipole moment. My question is, what are the assumptions leading to this result? It seems like the only assumption that was taken into account was the nucleus being a positive charge distibution and it does not make sense to me considering the expression of the electric dipole moment. I would assume that some sort of symmetry of the nucleus need to be considered as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking about Schiff moments or T-violation?

Vanadium 50 said:
Are you asking about Schiff moments or T-violation?
To my understanding it is more simple than that.
The nucleus is considered as merely a charge distribution and the electrostatic energy of the interaction between the nucleus and the electron is approximated using multipole expansion.
What I do not understand is, what are the assumptions that result with the dipole term being zero?

Well, one would be T-symmetry. The other would be the Schiff moment.

Vanadium 50 said:
Well, one would be T-symmetry. The other would be the Schiff moment.
Can you refer me to literature of those subjects?
I must admit that it seems a little bit over the top, because what I read involved more basic concepts.
As I wrote at my post, I would have assumed that some sort of symmetry of the charge distribution of the nucleus leads to its electric dipole moment being zero.

tamir said:
Can you refer me to literature of those subjects?

Can you tell me where you have already looked?

tamir said:
I would have assumed that some sort of symmetry of the charge distribution of the nucleus leads to its electric dipole moment being zero.

And had you Googled "Schiff moment" (which I note in passing is the third time I wrote this) you would have learned about this. I can point you in the right direction, but I can't pour knowledge into your head.

A guy prays: "Dear Lord, please make me win the lottery."
The following day he begs the Lord again: "Please make it so I win the lottery, Lord!"
The next day, he again prays: "Please, please, dear Lord, make me win the lottery - you know how much I need the money."
Suddenly there is a thunderclap and a booming voice from the heavens: "Work with me here. Buy a doggone ticket!"

• Haha
Likes Klystron and Cryo

1. What is an electric dipole moment?

An electric dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within a system. In the case of an atom, it refers to the separation of the nucleus' positive charge and the surrounding electron cloud's negative charge.

2. How is the electric dipole moment of an atom's nucleus measured?

The electric dipole moment of an atom's nucleus is typically measured using spectroscopy techniques, such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) or electron spin resonance (ESR). These techniques allow scientists to observe the behavior of the nucleus in an external magnetic field and calculate its dipole moment.

3. What factors affect the electric dipole moment of an atom's nucleus?

The electric dipole moment of an atom's nucleus is affected by several factors, including the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, the distribution of these particles within the nucleus, and the overall shape of the nucleus.

4. Why is the electric dipole moment of an atom's nucleus important?

The electric dipole moment of an atom's nucleus is important because it provides crucial information about the internal structure and behavior of the atom. It can also help scientists understand the interactions between atoms and molecules in various chemical and physical processes.

5. Can the electric dipole moment of an atom's nucleus change?

Yes, the electric dipole moment of an atom's nucleus can change due to various factors such as changes in the nuclear structure or external influences such as electric or magnetic fields. These changes can be observed and studied using spectroscopy techniques.