Solve LaGrange Problem: Rod of Length L & Disk of Radius R

• Thread starter don_anon25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrange
In summary, we have a system consisting of a rod of length L and mass M, pivoted at the origin and able to swing in the vertical plane. The other end of the rod is attached to a thin disk of mass M and radius R, which can swing and rotate. The equations of motion for this system can be derived by considering the kinetic and potential energies of each component separately. The velocity of the center of mass for the rod and disk can be used to calculate the kinetic energy, while the constraint that theta = 0 when the disk is at its lowest position can be used to determine the potential energy.
don_anon25
We have a rod of length L and mass M pivoted at a point at the origin. This rod can swing in the vertical plane. The other end of the rod is pivoted to the center of a thin disk of mass M and radius R. Derive the equations of motion for the system.

I have attached a drawing :)
If you can't tell from my drawing, the angle between the vertical and L is theta and the disk has radius R and angle of rotation phi. The rod of length L swings -- the disk swings and rotates. L cos theta would thus be the vertical component...

For the kinetic energy of the system, I have 1/2 M [(L cos theta - R) theta dot]^2 + 1/2 (I of Rod) (theta dot)^2 + 1/2 (I of disk) (phi dot)^2.
Theta dot is the rate of change of angle theta, phi dot is rate of change of angle phi.
Is my generalized term for velocity [(L cos theta - R)*theta dot] correct? I'm a bit uncertain of it. If not, what should it be?

For potential energy of the system, I have U = (L cos theta - (L cos theta - R) * cos theta] mg. Is this correct?

I think I also have an extra constraint: (L Cos theta - R) * theta - R* phi =0. This is when the disc is at its lowest position.

This leads me to believe that I need to use undertermined multipliers to solve this problem. I suppose I will have two Euler-Lagrange equations, one for Theta and one for Phi.

Of course, this may be all wrong...I am terribly confused by this problem. Perhaps someone could refer me to a helpful resource? Or perhaps explain what the kinetic and potential energies should be?

Thanks for help in advance! Everyone on this website is absolutely wonderful when it comes to homework help!

Attachments

• lagrange.bmp
    33.8 KB · Views: 532
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at your equations for the velocity and potential energy, they are incorrect. Look at the disk and rod completely separately for this problem. Assume a homogenius rod and a homogenius disk (unless otherwise specified) and then you the velocity of the center of mass for the rod and disk separatly for the kinetic energy. Also, in your constraint where the disk is at its lowest position, theta = 0.

1. What is the LaGrange Problem?

The LaGrange Problem is a mathematical optimization problem that involves finding the shortest distance between two points while also satisfying a constraint. It is named after the mathematician Joseph-Louis LaGrange who first studied it in the 18th century.

2. What are the components of the LaGrange Problem?

The LaGrange Problem consists of a rod of length L and a disk of radius R, where the rod is constrained to move along the edge of the disk. The goal is to find the shortest path for the rod to travel from one point on the disk to another point on the disk while satisfying the constraint of staying on the edge of the disk.

3. How is the LaGrange Problem solved?

The LaGrange Problem can be solved using the method of Lagrange multipliers, which involves using partial derivatives to find the minimum or maximum value of a function subject to constraints. In this case, the constraint is the rod staying on the edge of the disk, and the goal is to find the minimum distance between the two points on the disk.

4. What are the applications of the LaGrange Problem?

The LaGrange Problem has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to optimize the movement of objects, such as the path of a particle under the influence of a force, or the path of a robot arm. It can also be used to optimize resource allocation, such as finding the most efficient way to distribute resources among different projects.

5. Are there any real-world examples of the LaGrange Problem?

Yes, the LaGrange Problem has been applied to real-world scenarios such as finding the shortest flight path between two cities while avoiding restricted airspace, or finding the optimal path for a ship to travel through a canal while avoiding obstacles. It can also be used to optimize the design of structures, such as bridges, to minimize material usage while still maintaining strength and stability.