Constraint force using Lagrangian Multipliers

deuteron
Homework Statement
The bead can glide freely along the rod rotating with constant angular velocity on the xy-plane. What is the constraint force exerted by the rod?
Relevant Equations
##\dot\varphi=\omega##
Consider the following setup

1694444352368.png

where the bead can glide along the rod without friction, and the rod rotates with a constant angular velocity ##\omega##, and we want to find the constraint force using Lagrange multipliers.
I chose the generalized coordinates ##q=\{r,\varphi\}## and the constraint equation ##f## to be ##\varphi=\omega t##

We get the Lagrangian to be

$$\mathcal L= \frac 12m (\dot s^2 +s^2 \dot\varphi^2)- mgs\sin\varphi.$$

For the equation of motion, I got:

$$\begin{align}
\frac {\partial\mathcal L}{\partial \varphi}&= -mgs\cos\varphi\\
\frac{\partial\mathcal L}{\partial\dot\varphi}&= ms^2\dot \varphi\\
\frac d{dt}\frac {\partial\mathcal L}{\partial\dot\varphi}&= 2ms\dot s\dot \varphi +ms^2\ddot\varphi\\
\Rightarrow\ 2ms\dot s \omega + mgs\cos(\omega t)&=\lambda\frac {\partial f}{\partial\varphi} = \lambda\\
\frac{\partial\mathcal L}{\partial s}&= ms\dot\varphi^2 -mg\sin\varphi\\
\frac d{dt}\frac{\partial\mathcal L}{\partial\dot s}&= m\ddot s\\
\Rightarrow\ m\ddot s &= ms\dot \varphi^2 =ms\dot\omega^2\ \Rightarrow\ s(t)=s_0 \cos(\omega t)
\end{align}$$

and substituting $s(t)=s_0 \cos(\omega t)$ back to the equation for ##\varphi## results in:

$$-2ms_0^2\omega^2\cos(\omega t)\sin(\omega t) +mgs_0\cos^2(\omega t)=\lambda$$

and the constraint force is ##C=\lambda\frac {\partial f}{\partial\varphi}+\lambda \frac{\partial f}{\partial s} = -2ms_0^2\omega^2\cos(\omega t)\sin(\omega t) +mgs_0\cos^2(\omega t)##

However, this is not true and the force is supposed to be ##C= 2m\omega^2 s_0 \sinh(\omega t)##, what am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Likes curious_mind
Physics news on Phys.org
deuteron said:
Homework Statement: The bead can glide freely along the rod rotating with constant angular velocity on the xy-plane. What is the constraint force exerted by the rod?
Relevant Equations: ##\dot\varphi=\omega##

Consider the following setup

View attachment 331816

where the bead can glide along the rod without friction, and the rod rotates with a constant angular velocity ##\omega##, and we want to find the constraint force using Lagrange multipliers.
I chose the generalized coordinates ##q=\{r,\varphi\}## and the constraint equation ##f## to be ##\varphi=\omega t##

We get the Lagrangian to be

$$\mathcal L= \frac 12m (\dot s^2 +s^2 \dot\varphi^2)- mgs\sin\varphi.$$

I think you should include the constraint explicitly in the Lagrangian: [tex]
\mathcal{L} = \tfrac12m(\dot s^2 + s^2 \dot \varphi^2) - mgs\sin \varphi + m\lambda(\varphi - \omega t).[/tex]

For the equation of motion, I got:

$$\begin{align}
\frac {\partial\mathcal L}{\partial \varphi}&= -mgs\cos\varphi\\
\frac{\partial\mathcal L}{\partial\dot\varphi}&= ms^2\dot \varphi\\
\frac d{dt}\frac {\partial\mathcal L}{\partial\dot\varphi}&= 2ms\dot s\dot \varphi +ms^2\ddot\varphi\\
\Rightarrow\ 2ms\dot s \omega + mgs\cos(\omega t)&=\lambda\frac {\partial f}{\partial\varphi} = \lambda\\
\frac{\partial\mathcal L}{\partial s}&= ms\dot\varphi^2 -mg\sin\varphi\\
\frac d{dt}\frac{\partial\mathcal L}{\partial\dot s}&= m\ddot s\\
\Rightarrow\ m\ddot s &= ms\dot \varphi^2 =ms\dot\omega^2\ \Rightarrow\ s(t)=s_0 \cos(\omega t)
\end{align}$$

How do you justify the last line? You correctly found the derivatives of the Lagrangian, but you didn't put them together to form the EOM correctly. I get [tex]\begin{split}
\ddot s - s \dot\varphi^2 &= -g\sin\varphi \\
\frac{d}{dt}(s^2\dot\varphi) &= -gs\cos \varphi + \lambda \\
\varphi &= \omega t \end{split}[/tex] After setting [itex]\varphi = \omega t[/itex] the equation for [itex]s[/itex] is [tex]
\ddot s - \omega^2 s = -g\sin(\omega t).[/tex]

pasmith said:
I think you should include the constraint explicitly in the Lagrangian: [tex]
\mathcal{L} = \tfrac12m(\dot s^2 + s^2 \dot \varphi^2) - mgs\sin \varphi + m\lambda(\varphi - \omega t).[/tex]
How do you justify the last line? You correctly found the derivatives of the Lagrangian, but you didn't put them together to form the EOM correctly. I get [tex]\begin{split}
\ddot s - s \dot\varphi^2 &= -g\sin\varphi \\
\frac{d}{dt}(s^2\dot\varphi) &= -gs\cos \varphi + \lambda \\
\varphi &= \omega t \end{split}[/tex] After setting [itex]\varphi = \omega t[/itex] the equation for [itex]s[/itex] is [tex]
\ddot s - \omega^2 s = -g\sin(\omega t).[/tex]
Thank you... I can't believe I have been missing that...

Likes curious_mind

1. What is the concept of constraint force using Lagrangian Multipliers?

The concept of constraint force using Lagrangian Multipliers is a mathematical technique used to analyze systems with constraints, such as a pendulum swinging on a string. It allows us to incorporate the constraints into the equations of motion, resulting in a more accurate and efficient description of the system's behavior.

2. How does Lagrangian Multipliers differ from other methods of handling constraints?

Lagrangian Multipliers differ from other methods of handling constraints in that it does not require the use of external forces to enforce the constraints. Instead, it introduces additional variables called Lagrange multipliers, which act as the constraint forces and are included in the equations of motion.

3. What are the advantages of using Lagrangian Multipliers for constraint force analysis?

One of the main advantages of using Lagrangian Multipliers for constraint force analysis is that it simplifies the equations of motion, making them easier to solve. It also allows for a more elegant and intuitive approach to dealing with constraints, as opposed to using external forces or other methods.

4. Can Lagrangian Multipliers be applied to any type of constraint?

Yes, Lagrangian Multipliers can be applied to any type of constraint, as long as the system can be described using generalized coordinates. This includes both holonomic constraints (which can be expressed as equations) and non-holonomic constraints (which cannot be expressed as equations).

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Lagrangian Multipliers for constraint force analysis?

One limitation of using Lagrangian Multipliers is that it can be more difficult to apply to systems with a large number of constraints. In these cases, other methods may be more efficient. Additionally, Lagrangian Multipliers can only be used for conservative systems, meaning that energy is conserved and there are no dissipative forces present.