Determine the Lagrangian for the particle moving in this 3-D cos^2 well

In summary, the problem was that the particle was supposed to move completely over the funnel surface, but instead it stayed contained within the funnel. The coordinates of the particle were in cylindrical coordinates and the Lagrangian was solved using the product and chain rule.
Lambda96
Homework Statement
See Screenshot
Relevant Equations
none
Hi,

I am not quite sure whether I have solved the following problem correctly:

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-12 um 15.00.55.png

I have now set up Lagrangian in general, i.e.

$$L=T-V=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2)-mgz$$

After that I imagined how ##x##,##y## and ##z## must look like and got the following:

$$x=\beta \cos^2(\alpha r) \cos(\theta)$$
$$y=\beta \cos^2(\alpha r) \sin(\theta)$$
$$z=\beta \cos^2(\alpha r)$$Then I determined ##\dot{x}## and ##\dot{y}## or rather ##\dot{x}^2## and ##\dot{x}^2##.

$$\dot{x}=-\dot{\theta} \beta \cos^2(\alpha r) \sin(\theta) , \quad \dot{x}^2=\dot{\theta}^2 \beta^2 \cos^4(\alpha r) \sin^2(\theta)$$
$$\dot{y}=\dot{\theta} \beta \cos^2(\alpha r) \cos(\theta) , \quad \dot{y}^2=\dot{\theta}^2 \beta^2 \cos^4(\alpha r) \cos^2(\theta)$$

Then I put everything into the Lagrangian

$$L=\frac{1}{2}m\Bigl[ \dot{\theta}^2 \beta^2 \cos^4(\alpha r) \sin^2(\theta) +\dot{\theta}^2 \beta^2 \cos^4(\alpha r) \cos^2(\theta) \Bigr]-mg\beta \cos^2(\alpha r)$$

$$L=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{\theta}^2 \beta^2 \cos^4(\alpha r)-mg\beta \cos^2(\alpha r)$$

Unfortunately, however, my Lagrangian now depends on ##r## and ##\dot{theta}## and not ##r## and ##\theta##.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand, how you came to your equations for ##x## and ##y##. Think again about, how to parametrize ##(x,y,z)## as a function of the better adapted generalized independent variables ##r## and ##\theta##!

Likes Lambda96 and topsquark
First you are definitely missing a ##\dot{z}^2## term in your Kinetic Energy.

Now think cylindrical coordinates.

Isn't ## r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}##?

What are ##x## and ##y## in cylindrical coordinates?

Also I think you interpreted the last sentence wrong

"Determine the Lagrangian in terms of ##r## and ##\theta##" to me does not imply that ##\dot{r}## and ##\dot{\theta}## can't be present.

Lambda96 said:
$$x=\beta \cos^2(\alpha r) \cos(\theta)$$

$$\dot{x}=-\dot{\theta} \beta \cos^2(\alpha r) \sin(\theta) $$
Even if ##x## were computed correctly. Computing ##\dot{x}## requires not just the chain rule but the product rule as well. Same goes for ##y##.

Your coordinates are both ##r## and ##\theta##. Take that into account.

Thank you vanhees71 and PhDeezNutz for your help.

Unfortunately I completely misunderstood the task, I thought that the particle m would stay on this circular path, but the particle is supposed to move completely over the surface of this, I'll call it funnel, so ##r## does not stay constant, but depends on time.

For the z coordinate I can use the formula given, i.e. ##z=\beta \cos(\alpha r)^2## for the ##x## and ##y## I would use polar coordinates, as PhDeezNutz has already pointed out. So I would get the following for the ##x, y, z## and their time derivatives

$$x=r \cos(\theta) , \qquad \dot{x}=\dot{r} \cos(\theta)-r \dot{\theta} \sin{\theta} , \qquad \dot{x}^2=\dot{r}^2 \cos^2(\theta)-2 \dot{r} r \dot{\theta} \sin(\theta) \cos(\theta)+r^2 \dot{\theta}^2 \sin^2{\theta}$$
$$y=r \sin(\theta) , \qquad \dot{y}=\dot{r} \sin(\theta)+r \dot{\theta} \cos{\theta} , \qquad \dot{y}^2=\dot{r}^2 \sin^2(\theta)+2 \dot{r} r \dot{\theta} \cos(\theta) \sin(\theta)+r^2 \dot{\theta}^2 \cos^2{\theta}$$
$$z= \beta \cos^2(\alpha r) , \qquad \dot{z}=-2 \beta \alpha \dot{r} \sin(\alpha r) \cos(\alpha r), \qquad \dot{z}=4 \beta^2 \alpha^2 \dot{r}^2 \sin^2(\alpha r) \cos(\alpha r)^2$$

I then substituted these values into the Lagrangian and got the following:

$$L= \frac{1}{2}m \Bigl\lbrack \dot{r}^2 + r^2 \dot{\theta}^2+4 \beta^2 \alpha^2 \dot{r}^2 \sin^2(\alpha r) \cos^2(\alpha r) \Bigr\rbrack -mg \beta \cos^2(\alpha r)$$

Then I used the following identity for ##\dot{z}^2## ##\sin^2(x) \cos^2(x)=\frac{1}{4} \sin^2(2x)## and get the following form:

$$L= \frac{1}{2}m \Bigl\lbrack \dot{r}^2 + r^2 \dot{\theta}^2+ \beta^2 \alpha^2 \dot{r}^2 \sin^2(2 \alpha r) \Bigr\rbrack -mg \beta \cos^2(\alpha r)$$

Likes vanhees71
Looks good to me.

Thank you all for your help 👍

Likes berkeman and PhDeezNutz

1. What is the Lagrangian in physics?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a system in classical mechanics. It is used to determine the equations of motion for a system by considering the total kinetic and potential energy of the system.

2. How is the Lagrangian determined for a particle in a 3-D cos^2 well?

The Lagrangian for a particle moving in a 3-D cos^2 well can be determined by considering the potential energy of the particle in the well and its kinetic energy. The potential energy is given by the cosine squared function, while the kinetic energy is determined by the particle's velocity and mass.

3. What is the significance of the 3-D cos^2 well in physics?

The 3-D cos^2 well is a common potential energy function used in physics to model various physical systems. It is often used in quantum mechanics to represent the potential energy of a particle in a confined space, such as an atom or molecule.

4. How does the Lagrangian affect the motion of a particle in a 3-D cos^2 well?

The Lagrangian determines the equations of motion for a particle in a 3-D cos^2 well. By solving these equations, we can determine the trajectory of the particle and how it moves within the well. The Lagrangian also allows us to calculate the energy of the particle at any given point in its motion.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian for a particle in a 3-D cos^2 well?

Like any mathematical model, the Lagrangian has its limitations. It assumes that the particle in the 3-D cos^2 well is a point particle with no internal structure. It also does not take into account any external forces acting on the particle, such as friction or air resistance. Additionally, the Lagrangian may not accurately describe the behavior of particles at very small scales, where quantum mechanics becomes more relevant.