Register to reply

Collections of physics problems - good idea?

by dicerandom
Tags: collections, physics
Share this thread:
dicerandom
Dec7-05, 06:11 PM
P: 308
I'll be starting grad school next year, and I'm already starting to worry about the qualifier ;) While poking around on Barnes & Noble's site I noticed that there are whole books which are just collections of problems in physics, with and without solutions. I thought that these might be a good way to get started studying for the qualifier, just so that I can expose myself to a wide variety of problems from different concentrations and work my way through them. I found a number of books, most of which were linked to off of other books I was looking at, and I'm wondering what everyone's opinions are.

Are these collections of problems a good way to get started studying for the qualifier? Are there any particularly good books in this area? How good are the ones I've listed?

Here are the books I was looking at:
  • Princeton Problems in Physics with Solutions, ISBN 0691024499
  • University of Chicago Graduate Problems in Physics, with Solutions, ISBN 0226121097
  • 200 Puzzling Physics Problems: With Hints and Solutions, ISBN 0521774802
  • Physics with Answers: 500 Problems and Solutions, ISBN 0521483697
  • Physics by Example: 200 Problems and Solutions, ISBN 0521449758
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Dr Transport
Dec7-05, 06:56 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,475
Both the Princeton and Chicago books are worth the money. I used both for my qualifiers way back when.....

Register to reply