For those of you who use a optical mouse

by peejake
Tags: mouse, optical
peejake
Jun24-06, 12:18 AM
P: 69
hey guys,

For those of you who use optical mouses, have you noticed any kind of wierd behaviour like the cursor crawling up the screen diagonally? This happens especially when you dont do anything and just leave the mouse by itself....I was wondering does anyone know why this happens and why??

Cheers
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
mattmns
Jun24-06, 07:09 AM
P: 1,119
My optical mouse does some weird things. Sometimes it will jump to some part of the screen. Other times it will slowly crawl left without me moving it. It does one of these things usually once a day, not sure why it happens though.
russ_watters
Jun24-06, 08:03 AM
Mentor
P: 22,006
It is probably a difficulty in reading the surface. Try a different surface.

neutrino
Jun24-06, 08:36 AM
P: 2,048

For those of you who use a optical mouse

Yes, I've noticed that. I always thought it was the wire was pulling the mouse by infinitesimal displacements when kept in certain positions. :P
FredGarvin
Jun24-06, 03:11 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
I have noticed it, like when Russ mentioned, on surfaces that the mouse has trouble reading. It also happens as part of a really good practical joke. Put a piece of scotch tape over the bottom eye of the mouse. It takes people a long time to figure that one out. See if that replicates your problem.
peejake
Jun24-06, 05:45 PM
P: 69
Quote Quote by russ_watters
It is probably a difficulty in reading the surface. Try a different surface.
It still happens when i try it with a different surface......maybe i should try and stick some scotch tape on the bottom eye of the mouse like Fred said....

Thanks anyway
Kirro
Jun29-06, 03:37 PM
P: 35
I use a Logitech MX1000 Laser mouse and it works perfectly on all surfaces. However, it's NOT good for gaming. It was really expensive when I got it and it wasn't really worth it though it gives me no troubles.
3trQN
Jun29-06, 04:12 PM
P: 349
I found that happens sometimes because a hair or some fluff gets lodged in the sensor, i also notice that some optical mice have a power saving method, whereby theyr sensitivity is reduced after a period of idle. So keeping them from kicking into idle mode keeps the sensitivity at maximum and the mouse tracking more accurate ( mostly usefull for games ). This is more a feature with the wireless optical mice i think, because they run on batteries, i preffer the corded mice myself.
darkar
Jun30-06, 02:41 AM
P: 179
Well, theres a few possibilities, one of this is infection
http://www.rjlsoftware.com/support/faq/sa.cfm?q=21&n=36

the other one, i remembered i saw it in one of Microsoft knowledge base before. Try to to mouse property in ur control panel, under pointer options, deselect/select pointer precession control.

Hope it helps :)

Register to reply