Register to reply

Hall Voltage Effect

by zigga15
Tags: effect, hall, voltage
Share this thread:
zigga15
Aug24-06, 07:59 PM
P: 9
Hey I am having trouble with the following question.

Because blood contains charged ions moving blood develops a Hall voltage across the diameter of an artery. The blood in a large artery with a diameter of 0.85 cm has a flow speed of 0.6 m/s. If a section of this artery is in a magnetic field of 0.4T, what is the potential diference across the diameter of the artery?

I have an idea of what is going on in the question, but it seems i havn't been given enough information to solve it. I know that hall voltage is given by:

V = (IB)/ned and i know that F = qvB if i assumed the field was perpendicular to the artery I could use that for something - maybe. But really im stumped, any help, or even a formula i have over looked would be great thanks.

~Daniel
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Andrew Mason
Aug24-06, 11:25 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,653
Quote Quote by zigga15
Hey I am having trouble with the following question.

Because blood contains charged ions moving blood develops a Hall voltage across the diameter of an artery. The blood in a large artery with a diameter of 0.85 cm has a flow speed of 0.6 m/s. If a section of this artery is in a magnetic field of 0.4T, what is the potential diference across the diameter of the artery?

I have an idea of what is going on in the question, but it seems i havn't been given enough information to solve it. I know that hall voltage is given by:

V = (IB)/ned and i know that F = qvB if i assumed the field was perpendicular to the artery I could use that for something - maybe. But really im stumped, any help, or even a formula i have over looked would be great thanks.

~Daniel
You have to know how many charge carriers flow past a given point per unit time. You don't have enough information to find that.

AM

Register to reply