Hall Voltage Effect

by zigga15
Tags: effect, hall, voltage
zigga15
Aug24-06, 07:59 PM
P: 9
Hey I am having trouble with the following question.

Because blood contains charged ions moving blood develops a Hall voltage across the diameter of an artery. The blood in a large artery with a diameter of 0.85 cm has a flow speed of 0.6 m/s. If a section of this artery is in a magnetic field of 0.4T, what is the potential diference across the diameter of the artery?

I have an idea of what is going on in the question, but it seems i havn't been given enough information to solve it. I know that hall voltage is given by:

V = (IB)/ned and i know that F = qvB if i assumed the field was perpendicular to the artery I could use that for something - maybe. But really im stumped, any help, or even a formula i have over looked would be great thanks.

~Daniel
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
Andrew Mason
Aug24-06, 11:25 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,559
Quote Quote by zigga15
Hey I am having trouble with the following question.

Because blood contains charged ions moving blood develops a Hall voltage across the diameter of an artery. The blood in a large artery with a diameter of 0.85 cm has a flow speed of 0.6 m/s. If a section of this artery is in a magnetic field of 0.4T, what is the potential diference across the diameter of the artery?

I have an idea of what is going on in the question, but it seems i havn't been given enough information to solve it. I know that hall voltage is given by:

V = (IB)/ned and i know that F = qvB if i assumed the field was perpendicular to the artery I could use that for something - maybe. But really im stumped, any help, or even a formula i have over looked would be great thanks.

~Daniel
You have to know how many charge carriers flow past a given point per unit time. You don't have enough information to find that.

AM

Register to reply