Hall Voltage Effect: Calculating Potential Difference

• Thread starter zigga15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the question is asking for the potential difference across the diameter of a large artery in a magnetic field, but there is not enough information given to solve it. The formula for Hall voltage and the relationship between force and magnetic field could potentially be used, but the number of charge carriers is unknown.
zigga15
Hey I am having trouble with the following question.

Because blood contains charged ions moving blood develops a Hall voltage across the diameter of an artery. The blood in a large artery with a diameter of 0.85 cm has a flow speed of 0.6 m/s. If a section of this artery is in a magnetic field of 0.4T, what is the potential diference across the diameter of the artery?

I have an idea of what is going on in the question, but it seems i havn't been given enough information to solve it. I know that hall voltage is given by:

V = (IB)/ned and i know that F = qvB if i assumed the field was perpendicular to the artery I could use that for something - maybe. But really I am stumped, any help, or even a formula i have over looked would be great thanks.

~Daniel

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zigga15 said:
Hey I am having trouble with the following question.

Because blood contains charged ions moving blood develops a Hall voltage across the diameter of an artery. The blood in a large artery with a diameter of 0.85 cm has a flow speed of 0.6 m/s. If a section of this artery is in a magnetic field of 0.4T, what is the potential diference across the diameter of the artery?

I have an idea of what is going on in the question, but it seems i havn't been given enough information to solve it. I know that hall voltage is given by:

V = (IB)/ned and i know that F = qvB if i assumed the field was perpendicular to the artery I could use that for something - maybe. But really I am stumped, any help, or even a formula i have over looked would be great thanks.

~Daniel
You have to know how many charge carriers flow past a given point per unit time. You don't have enough information to find that.

AM

What is the Hall voltage effect?

The Hall voltage effect is a phenomenon where a voltage difference (known as the Hall voltage) is produced across a conductor when it is placed in a magnetic field and a current is passed through it.

How is the Hall voltage calculated?

The Hall voltage can be calculated using the formula V_H = B * I * t / n * e, where B is the strength of the magnetic field, I is the current, t is the thickness of the conductor, n is the number of charge carriers, and e is the charge of each carrier.

What is the potential difference in the Hall voltage effect?

The potential difference, or Hall voltage, is an electric potential difference that is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field. It is responsible for the flow of current in the transverse direction.

What is the significance of the Hall voltage effect?

The Hall voltage effect is commonly used in various scientific and industrial applications, such as in the measurement of magnetic field strength, determination of the type and concentration of charge carriers in a material, and in the functioning of Hall effect sensors in electronic devices.

What factors affect the Hall voltage?

The Hall voltage is affected by factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the current passing through the conductor, the thickness and material of the conductor, and the number and type of charge carriers present in the material.