IV curve for voltage across shunt for probe current (Helimak experiment)

In summary, the conversation discusses a Langmuir probe I-V characteristic from the Helimak experiment with plasma ions of singly ionized argon and an effective area of 0.000016 m^2. The task is to estimate the floating potential, electron density, and temperature, as well as the uncertainties in these values based on the data collected by sweeping the bias voltage at a frequency of a few Hertz and averaging over 15 seconds. The data includes the voltage applied to the probe and the voltage across a 5-kilo OHm shunt to measure probe current. The question arises as to how to convert the voltage across the shunt to current in order to solve for the desired values.
1a2

Homework Statement

Let's say I have a Langmuir probe I-V characteristic from the Helimak experiment. The plasma ions are singly ionized argon. The probe has an effective area of 0.000016 m^2. Estimate the floating potential, electron density,
and temperature. Based only on the nature of the data itself, estimate the uncertainties in these values. This data was taken by sweeping the bias voltage at a frequency of a few Hertz and averaging over 15s to reduce the effect of fluctuations, which are still visible in the
data.

The first column is the voltage applied to the probe. The second is the voltage across a 5-kilo OHm shunt to measure probe current

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I am confused about is that when I plotted the values given in the problem, the curve resembles an IV curve. However, since the y-values are "voltage across a 5-kilo OHm shunt to measure probe current", how would I convert this to current, and thus be able to solve for the floating potential, electron density,
and temperature. ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm missing something, but what would be wrong with just using V=I*R? You know resistance and voltage across the resistor.

1. What is an IV curve?

An IV curve, also known as a current-voltage curve, is a graphical representation of the relationship between the current flowing through a device and the voltage applied to it. It is used to characterize the behavior of electronic components and devices.

2. What is a shunt in relation to an IV curve?

A shunt is a device used to measure current flowing through a circuit. In an IV curve for voltage across shunt for probe current, the shunt is used to measure the current flowing through the probe in the Helimak experiment.

3. How is the IV curve measured in a Helimak experiment?

In a Helimak experiment, the IV curve is measured by varying the voltage applied across the shunt while keeping the probe current constant. The measured voltage and current data points are then plotted on a graph to create the IV curve.

4. What information can be obtained from an IV curve for voltage across shunt for probe current?

The IV curve for voltage across shunt for probe current can provide information about the electrical characteristics of the probe, such as its resistance and current-carrying capability. It can also help identify any non-linear behavior in the probe at different voltage levels.

5. Why is the IV curve important in the Helimak experiment?

The IV curve is important in the Helimak experiment because it allows scientists to understand the behavior of the probe and its interaction with the plasma in the Helimak device. This information is crucial for optimizing the probe design and improving the accuracy of measurements in the experiment.