Calculating blood pressure increase with Poiseuille's equation

In summary, the question asks for the ratio of pressure drop along the left carotid artery to the right carotid artery, given the length and diameter of the arteries and a stenosis in the left artery. The attempt at a solution involved using Poiseuille's equation and a given value for blood flow rate, but the answer obtained was not correct. The student is seeking help as the homework needs to be submitted online.
FenderFan54

Homework Statement

Hello! I don't usually ask for help on homework, but I am really stuck and my physics teacher has no clue what she is doing. She doesn't really understand the material. Here is the question: There are two carotid arteries that feed blood to the brain, one on each side of the neck and head. One patient's carotid arteries are each 11.2 cm long and have an inside diameter of 5.1mm . Near the middle of the left artery, however, is a 2.0-cm-long stenosis, a section of the artery with a smaller diameter of 3.2mm. For the same blood flow rate, what is the ratio of the pressure drop along the patient's left carotid artery to the drop along his right artery?

Homework Equations

Poiseuille's equation: Q=pi(r^4)Δp/(8ηL)

Given Value of blood flow rate, Q=8.3x10^-5 m^3/s (by same they mean the one stated earlier in the text)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to simply plug and chug the values but did not get the answer right. I got about 1.5 for the ratio. I know this because the homework must be submitted online. Any help would really be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show what you've tried? How did you set up the calculations?

What is Poiseuille's equation?

Poiseuille's equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the pressure difference required to maintain a constant flow rate in a fluid through a cylindrical tube. It takes into account the viscosity of the fluid, the length and radius of the tube, and the flow rate.

How is Poiseuille's equation used to calculate blood pressure?

In the context of blood pressure, Poiseuille's equation is used to calculate the increase in pressure that is required to maintain a constant flow rate of blood through a narrowed or constricted blood vessel. This can help in understanding and predicting the effects of conditions such as atherosclerosis or hypertension.

What are the variables in Poiseuille's equation?

The variables in Poiseuille's equation are the viscosity of the fluid (blood), the length and radius of the tube (blood vessel), and the flow rate (blood flow through the vessel).

How does the viscosity of blood affect the calculation of blood pressure using Poiseuille's equation?

The viscosity of blood is an important factor in Poiseuille's equation as it affects the resistance to flow in the blood vessels. The higher the viscosity, the greater the resistance and the higher the pressure required to maintain a constant flow rate. This is why conditions that increase blood viscosity, such as dehydration or polycythemia, can lead to higher blood pressure.

What are the limitations of using Poiseuille's equation to calculate blood pressure?

While Poiseuille's equation is a useful tool for understanding and predicting blood pressure changes, it has some limitations. It assumes a constant flow rate and a cylindrical tube with a uniform radius, which may not always be the case in the complex network of blood vessels in the body. Additionally, it does not take into account other factors that can affect blood pressure, such as heart rate and vascular tone.