Solving the Speed of Blood Flow in a Magnetic Field

In summary, the question asks for the speed of blood flowing through an artery of diameter 10mm which is subject to a constant magnetic field of strength 60mT. The solution is that the blood speed is 0.5m/s.
Steve F
1. The question...

"Blood is a conducting fluid. When flowing through an artery of diameter 10mm which is subject to a constant magnetic field of strength 60mT, an e.m.f. of 0.3mV appears across the width of the artery. Calculate the speed of the blood"

3. The solution...

The solution given is
E = BA/t (I get that bit)
and
E = BLv (don't get this bit)
where v is speed of the blood and L is??

It continues...
v = E/BL = 0.0003/(0.060 x 0.01) = 0.5m/s

So it appears L is apparently 0.01m (10mm) which is the same as the diameter of the artery.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Better start with ##|E|=\frac{d\Phi}{dt}=B\frac{dA}{dt}## for Faraday's Law in a steady field. Consider a rectangle of blood of height ##d## (diameter of artery) and length ##dx## ...

kuruman said:
Better start with ##|E|=\frac{d\Phi}{dt}=B\frac{dA}{dt}## for Faraday's Law in a steady field. Consider a rectangle of blood of height ##d## (diameter of artery) and length ##dx## ...

Thanks for the reply, but i still don't follow how he gets E = BLv

A rectangle of height ##L## (I renamed the variable) and length ##dx## has area ##dA=Ldx##. What is ##\frac{dA}{dt}~?## Note: ##L## is the diameter of the artery.

kuruman said:
A rectangle of height ##L## (I renamed the variable) and length ##dx## has area ##dA=Ldx##. What is ##\frac{dA}{dt}~?## Note: ##L## is the diameter of the artery.

But A isn't dependant on t, so dA/dt doesn't make sense. Sorry if I'm being stupid!

Look at the picture. It shows a piece of the artery and an element of blood of length Δx flowing with speed v left to right. Imagine the magnetic field in a direction perpendicular to the screen. The flux through that element of blood is BΔA. If the element takes time Δt to cross the dotted line, the rate of change of flux with respect to time is BΔA/Δt. Look at the picture again. What is ΔA in terms of L and Δx? What is BΔA/Δt?

BloodFlow.png

Attachments

• BloodFlow.png
    BloodFlow.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 264
Ah I see it now. I was taking A to be the area of cross-section of the artery...but of course the field can't be parallel to the blood flow.

Thanks for your help

1. What is the significance of studying the speed of blood flow in a magnetic field?

Understanding the speed of blood flow in a magnetic field can provide valuable insights into the functioning of the circulatory system and aid in the diagnosis and treatment of various diseases and conditions related to blood flow. It can also have implications for the development of medical technologies.

2. How is the speed of blood flow in a magnetic field measured?

The speed of blood flow in a magnetic field can be measured using various imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or Doppler ultrasound. These techniques use the principles of magnetism and sound waves to visualize and measure the movement of blood in the body.

3. What factors affect the speed of blood flow in a magnetic field?

The speed of blood flow in a magnetic field can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the viscosity and density of the blood, and the diameter and elasticity of the blood vessels. Other factors such as heart rate and blood pressure can also play a role.

4. How does the speed of blood flow in a magnetic field differ from normal blood flow?

The presence of a magnetic field can alter the behavior of blood cells, resulting in changes in the speed of blood flow. For example, in a magnetic field, red blood cells tend to align themselves and move in a more streamlined manner, increasing the overall speed of blood flow.

5. What are the potential applications of studying the speed of blood flow in a magnetic field?

The study of the speed of blood flow in a magnetic field has potential applications in various fields, including medicine, biology, and engineering. It can aid in the development of new medical treatments, improve our understanding of biological processes, and help design more efficient and accurate medical imaging techniques.