Matlab and the Euler Equations

by H_man
Tags: equations, euler, matlab
Share this thread:
H_man
Sep18-06, 08:06 AM
P: 145
Hi,

I was wondering if Matlab was the sort of program I'd want to solve the Euler Equations (fluid dynamics).

And if it is, I am sure this must be a very standard problem.. does anybody know of any tutorials for this sort of problem as I have never used matlab?

Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Clausius2
Sep18-06, 11:23 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,479
What are you solving?
H_man
Sep18-06, 11:41 AM
Expansion of a gas jet.

From what I know of numerical methods (which is not enough) I think it would be a shame to do it from scratch.

The particular equation takes the form:

[tex] \nabla\cdot[/tex](rU)U + [tex]\nabla p[/tex] = 0

(for the steady state case)

Clausius2
Sep18-06, 07:38 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Matlab and the Euler Equations

You can do almost whatever you want with Matlab. It has a limit in memory though. But for reaching that limit your computation should be very heavy.

What do you mean with the expansion of a gas jet? Don't be afraid about being more explicit, nobody here is going to steal your idea or your project. So please elaborate your answer a little bit more. Even in your post I see the words "jet" and "Euler Equations" which are two totally contradictory statements. They don't get along very well in fluid mechanics.
H_man
Sep19-06, 11:55 AM
I had in mind playing with the gas expansion problem as a stepping stone to more interesting problems in plasma physics.

With certain simplifications Plasma can be modelled with the Euler equations (see most textbooks on MHD).
Clausius2
Sep19-06, 02:52 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by H_man
I had in mind playing with the gas expansion problem as a stepping stone to more interesting problems in plasma physics.

With certain simplifications Plasma can be modelled with the Euler equations (see most textbooks on MHD).

Sure, with certain simplifications Ordinary Fluids can be modelled with the Euler equations too.

As far as ordinary fluids are concerned, even though the core of the jet is at high enough Reynolds numbers to assume Euler approximation, turns out to be that the formation of the mixing layer in the radial limit of the jet influences a lot its dynamics.

That's why I was asking you. Anyway I think you wouldn't have to worry working properly with such rariefied flows.

Register to reply