Question about how solve 2 body problem in orbit using MATLAB ode45

In summary, you wrote a program to solve an equation of motion for a two-body problem, but it is giving you errors. You should scale distances and velocities with a function, and use the mass of the satellite to calculate the orbit's period.
saeede-
hi guys, I'm trying to write a program in MATLAB to solve and plot equation of motion of 2 body problem but it errors as i don't know what it says!
do you know how to help me? please!

The main equation is r(double dot)=-(mu)*r(hat)/r^3
The code that i wrote is:
Matlab:
clear all
close all
clc

R=6371e+3;
r0=3e+5;
p0=[R+r0;0;0;7000;0;0];

[t,p]=ode45(@sattelite,[0,3.15581e+07],p0);
xout=p(:,1);
yout=p(:,2);
zout=p(:,3);
plot3d(xout,yout,zout)

function dp=sattelite(t,p)
p=[x position;y position;z position;x velocity(vx);y velocity(vy);z velocity(vz)];
G=6.67e-11;
Me=5.972e+24;
m=50;
mu=(Me+m)*G;
R=6371e+3;
r0=3e+5;

r=sqrt(p(1)^2+p(2)^2+p(3)^2);
dp=zeros(6,1);
dp(1)=p(4);
dp(2)=p(5);
dp(3)=p(6);
dp(4)=-(mu/r^3)*p(1);
dp(5)=-(mu/r^3)*p(2);
dp(6)=-(mu/r^3)*p(3);
end
<Moderator's note: code tags added. Please use them.>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the error you get?

DrClaude said:
What is the error you get?
all the errors are:

Unrecognized function or variable 'x'.

Error in T3>sattelite (line 16)
p=[x position;y position;z position;x velocity(vx);y velocity(vy);z velocity(vz)];

Error in odearguments (line 90)
f0 = feval(ode,t0,y0,args{:}); % ODE15I sets args{1} to yp0.

Error in ode45 (line 115)
odearguments(FcnHandlesUsed, solver_name, ode, tspan, y0, options, varargin);

Error in T3 (line 9)

Line 16 looks like it should be a comment, not a statement. Fixing that will probably make all those errors go away.

Likes pasmith and saeede-
DrClaude said:
Line 16 looks like it should be a comment, not a statement. Fixing that will probably make all those errors go away.
Oh yes! thanks. all errors gone .although i wanted to plot a circle 3d but it shows a line :)

Now that you have a program which runs, there are some other improvements you should consider.

saeede- said:
hi guys, I'm trying to write a program in MATLAB to solve and plot equation of motion of 2 body problem but it errors as i don't know what it says!
do you know how to help me? please!

The main equation is r(double dot)=-(mu)*r(hat)/r^3
The code that i wrote is:
Matlab:
clear all
close all
clc

R=6371e+3;
r0=3e+5;
p0=[R+r0;0;0;7000;0;0];

You are seeing a line because your initial position is in the [itex]x[/itex] direction and your initial velocity is also in the [itex]x[/itex] direction. Thus the angular velocity is zero, and the satellite will remain on the [itex]x[/itex] axis.
Code:
xout=p(:,1);
yout=p(:,2);
zout=p(:,3);
plot3d(xout,yout,zout)

function dp=sattelite(t,p)
G=6.67e-11;
Me=5.972e+24;
m=50;
mu=(Me+m)*G;
R=6371e+3;
r0=3e+5;

In terms of floating point arithmetic: [itex]5.972 \times 10^{24} + 50 = 5.972 \times 10^{24}[/itex]. You might as well set [itex]m = 0[/itex].

I would suggest scaling distances with [itex]r + R_0[/itex] and times with [itex]((r+R_0)^3/G(M_e+m))^{1/2}[/itex] so that in scaled units [tex]
\ddot{\mathbf{r}} = - \frac{1}{r^2} \hat{\mathbf{r}}
[/tex] with [itex]\mathbf{r}(0) = (1,0,0)[/itex]. Velocities then scale as the length unit divided by the time unit, so the initial scaled velocity is [tex]\dot{\mathbf{r}}(0) = \left(0, 7000 \left(\frac{R + r_0}{G(M_e + m)}\right)^{1/2}, 0\right)
\approx (0, 0.889, 0).[/tex] (The problem is entirely two-dimensional, so you could get rid of the [itex]z[/itex] components of position and velocity and save the computer some work.)

In these units, a circular orbit with initial velocity (0,1,0) has a period of [itex]2\pi[/itex] scaled time units. So your maximum time doesn't need to go beyond 10 scaled units, rather than the [itex]3.15 \times 10^7\,\mathrm{s}[/itex] you have allowed for.

Likes saeede-
pasmith said:
Now that you have a program which runs, there are some other improvements you should consider.
You are seeing a line because your initial position is in the [itex]x[/itex] direction and your initial velocity is also in the [itex]x[/itex] direction. Thus the angular velocity is zero, and the satellite will remain on the [itex]x[/itex] axis.In terms of floating point arithmetic: [itex]5.972 \times 10^{24} + 50 = 5.972 \times 10^{24}[/itex]. You might as well set [itex]m = 0[/itex].

I would suggest scaling distances with [itex]r + R_0[/itex] and times with [itex]((r+R_0)^3/G(M_e+m))^{1/2}[/itex] so that in scaled units [tex]
\ddot{\mathbf{r}} = - \frac{1}{r^2} \hat{\mathbf{r}}
[/tex] with [itex]\mathbf{r}(0) = (1,0,0)[/itex]. Velocities then scale as the length unit divided by the time unit, so the initial scaled velocity is [tex]\dot{\mathbf{r}}(0) = \left(0, 7000 \left(\frac{R + r_0}{G(M_e + m)}\right)^{1/2}, 0\right)
\approx (0, 0.889, 0).[/tex] (The problem is entirely two-dimensional, so you could get rid of the [itex]z[/itex] components of position and velocity and save the computer some work.)

In these units, a circular orbit with initial velocity (0,1,0) has a period of [itex]2\pi[/itex] scaled time units. So your maximum time doesn't need to go beyond 10 scaled units, rather than the [itex]3.15 \times 10^7\,\mathrm{s}[/itex] you have allowed for.

in my problem that i solve it , I would take different velocity and see how change orbit. and i should use m because it's mass of satellite.
I put the velocity that gave me in y component and become Ok !
Now , I don't know how to plot orbit around Earth . this said in different topic.

1. What is the 2 body problem in orbit?

The 2 body problem in orbit is a mathematical problem that involves predicting the motion of two objects in space, such as a planet and a satellite, that are influenced by each other's gravitational force. This problem is important in understanding the dynamics of celestial bodies and in designing spacecraft trajectories.

2. How can MATLAB ode45 be used to solve the 2 body problem in orbit?

MATLAB ode45 is a numerical integration function that can be used to solve ordinary differential equations, which are commonly used to describe the motion of objects in space. By inputting the appropriate equations and initial conditions, ode45 can numerically solve the 2 body problem and provide the position and velocity of the objects at any given time.

3. What are the advantages of using MATLAB ode45 to solve the 2 body problem?

MATLAB ode45 is a highly versatile and efficient tool for solving ordinary differential equations, making it a powerful tool for solving the 2 body problem. It can handle a wide range of initial conditions and is able to accurately approximate the solution over a long period of time. Additionally, the graphical output of ode45 can provide valuable insights into the behavior of the objects in orbit.

4. Are there any limitations to using MATLAB ode45 for solving the 2 body problem?

While MATLAB ode45 is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations when solving the 2 body problem. The accuracy of the solution may decrease over very long time periods, and it may not be suitable for highly complex systems with multiple bodies. Additionally, the accuracy of the solution is dependent on the accuracy of the input equations and initial conditions.

5. How can the results of solving the 2 body problem using MATLAB ode45 be interpreted?

The results of solving the 2 body problem using MATLAB ode45 can be interpreted as the position and velocity of the objects at any given time. These results can be used to analyze the behavior of the objects in orbit, make predictions about their future motion, and evaluate the impact of different initial conditions on the orbital dynamics.