MATLAB: Fluid Flow - Curl of a Vector Field

Tallus Bryne
TL;DR Summary
Looking for a mathematical description of what exactly the MATLAB curl function does when doing something like [curlz, cav] = curl(x,y,u,v).
I am working with some data which represents the fluid position and velocity for each point of measurement as an x, y, u, and v matrix (from particle image velocimetry). I have done things like circulation, and discretizing the line integral involved was no problem. I am stuck when trying to calculate the vorticity at each point. Lets say each x, y, u, v matrix is NxN. I would like to find a NxN matrix which represents the curl of the associated velocity field. I'm aware of the curl function on MATLAB and how [curlz, cav] = curl(x,y,u,v) will do the job just fine. What I'm really wondering is how exactly MATLAB's curl function does this calculation, or just how it would be done on paper in a simple case. Aside from a solution, I'd also appreciate any advice or hints.

Physics news on Phys.org
From the "Algorithms" section of the documentation:

curl computes the partial derivatives in its definition by using finite differences. For interior data points, the partial derivatives are calculated using central difference. For data points along the edges, the partial derivatives are calculated using single-sided (forward) difference.

Likes FactChecker
Wow. I don't know how many times I looked over that documentation page, even up to the previous section "Numerical Curl and Angular Velocity" and was somehow blind to the "Algorithms" each time. Appreciate the quick response, thanks!

1. What is the formula for calculating the curl of a vector field in MATLAB?

The formula for calculating the curl of a vector field in MATLAB is given by the cross product of the gradient of the vector field and the vector field itself: curl = cross(gradient, vector field).

2. How do I visualize the curl of a vector field in MATLAB?

To visualize the curl of a vector field in MATLAB, you can use the "quiver" function to plot the vector field and then use the "streamslice" function to plot the curl vectors on top of the vector field plot.

3. Can I calculate the curl of a vector field at specific points in MATLAB?

Yes, you can calculate the curl of a vector field at specific points in MATLAB by using the "interp2" function to interpolate the vector field data at those points and then applying the curl formula to the interpolated data.

4. How do I interpret the results of the curl calculation in MATLAB?

The results of the curl calculation in MATLAB represent the amount and direction of rotation at each point in the vector field. A positive curl value indicates counterclockwise rotation, while a negative value indicates clockwise rotation.

5. Can I use MATLAB to solve fluid flow problems involving the curl of a vector field?

Yes, MATLAB can be used to solve fluid flow problems involving the curl of a vector field by incorporating the curl formula into the equations of motion and using numerical methods to solve for the flow field. This can be particularly useful in analyzing turbulence and vortices in fluid flow.