Book for Matlab to Solve Differential Equations

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter Eagle9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Matlab
In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a textbook on using Matlab for solving differential equations. Suggestions for books and online resources are given, including a book by Hahn and tutorials on the MathWorks website.
Eagle9
Guys I am looking for a textbook about Matlab where In a simple language it will be described how to use this program for solving differential equations. I am more or less aware about calculus but if I have to solve such equations in future – only with this program. So which book could you offer me? :oldeyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
look online, there are thousands of sites where people post MATLAB solution techniques for differential equations.

Likes Borg
Great links jedi! I found out last week that my next ML project is using Matlab so these will help me a lot.

1. How can I use Matlab to solve differential equations?

Matlab has a built-in function called "ode45" that can be used to numerically solve differential equations. This function takes in the differential equation, initial conditions, and desired time interval as inputs and returns a solution vector. You can also use the "ode23" and "ode15s" functions for stiff and non-stiff equations, respectively.

2. Can I plot the solution to a differential equation in Matlab?

Yes, you can use the "plot" function in Matlab to plot the solution vector obtained from solving the differential equation. You can also use the "subplot" function to plot multiple solutions on the same graph for comparison.

3. Does Matlab have any built-in tools for solving systems of differential equations?

Yes, Matlab has a function called "ode45s" that can be used to solve systems of differential equations. This function takes in the system of equations, initial conditions, and desired time interval as inputs and returns a solution vector for each equation in the system.

4. Are there any other functions in Matlab that can be used for solving differential equations?

Yes, aside from the "ode" family of functions, Matlab also has the "dsolve" function that can be used to analytically solve certain types of differential equations. This function uses the symbolic math toolbox in Matlab and can handle both ordinary and partial differential equations.

5. Can I use Matlab to solve boundary value problems?

Yes, Matlab has a function called "bvp4c" that can be used to solve boundary value problems numerically. This function takes in the differential equation, boundary conditions, and initial guess for the solution as inputs and returns a solution vector that satisfies the given conditions.