Register to reply

Construct a launcher

by Elkay
Tags: construct, launcher
Share this thread:
Elkay
Sep30-06, 11:11 AM
P: 20
My engineering assignment calls for me to create a launcher that will propel a jumbo marshmallow at a target 50 feet away. Iím really excited about this assignment since this will be the first thing Iíve ever constructed on my own, but Iím unsure about finding inexpensive materials (my launcher cannot exceed $25).

I recently discover PVC pipes as a cheap way of constructing a cannon & I began working on a design seen here. I would like to have a release chamber that contains pressurized air so that the air will force the marshmallow to its target once it is lodged into my device. In order to do this, I would like to use an air pump to fill the chamber with air, but I donít know if I will get the

Will PVC pipes be okay to use for air pressure? If not, what type of pipes or materials can I use to construct an inexpensive pressure chamber? Thanks in advance for the advice.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
drpizza
Sep30-06, 01:44 PM
P: 291
Have you tried calculating approximately how much pressure will be necessary? I believe PVC has a pressure rating stamped on the side; always allow yourself an extra margin of safety.
Elkay
Oct1-06, 04:43 AM
Quote Quote by drpizza
Have you tried calculating approximately how much pressure will be necessary? I believe PVC has a pressure rating stamped on the side; always allow yourself an extra margin of safety.

Oh, I donít know how to calculate that. But Iím thinking if I check the gauge from the pump and keep within the allotted amount of pressure from the PVC pipe, then it should be okay.

Thanks for that tip-- I didn't know about the PVC pressure rating.

sciencewiz
Feb10-07, 04:49 PM
P: 3
Lightbulb Construct a launcher

Quote Quote by Elkay View Post
My engineering assignment calls for me to create a launcher that will propel a jumbo marshmallow at a target 50 feet away. Iím really excited about this assignment since this will be the first thing Iíve ever constructed on my own, but Iím unsure about finding inexpensive materials (my launcher cannot exceed $25).

I recently discover PVC pipes as a cheap way of constructing a cannon & I began working on a design seen here. I would like to have a release chamber that contains pressurized air so that the air will force the marshmallow to its target once it is lodged into my device. In order to do this, I would like to use an air pump to fill the chamber with air, but I donít know if I will get the

Will PVC pipes be okay to use for air pressure? If not, what type of pipes or materials can I use to construct an inexpensive pressure chamber? Thanks in advance for the advice.
IM HAVING A SIMILAR PROBLEM.BUT FOR MY LAUNCHER WEIRE SHOOTING PING-PONG BALLS. I FOUND THET A FLOURESENT LIGHT COVER WORKS GREAT. IT HAS ENOUGH AIR PRESSURE BUT IT DOESNT HAVE TOO MUCH EITHER. ARE YOU ELEVATING UR LAUNCHER? IF U ARE HOW HIGH AND AT WHAT ANGLE ARE YOU?
Elkay
Feb18-07, 10:14 AM
Hi Sciencewiz,

From what I've read in my text, if you want your projectile to go it's maximum range, the angle you should use is 45 degrees. We (my group) used PVC pipes and an air compressor-- our marshmallow flew beyond 100ft! This is a really cool assignment but I was robbed of much of the fun because I worked with unreliable people who didn't want to participate in anything.

Anyhow, I hope you have fun and I hope you don't have any problems building your launcher. :)

Register to reply