Know B, find A from B= curl A

• Thread starter jezse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curl
In summary, the magnetic flux density B for an infinitely long cylindrical conductor of radius b has two different equations depending on the relative size of R and b. To determine the vector magnetic potential A, only the relation B = curl A can be used. However, the vector potential A is not unique due to gauge invariance, so any gauge can be used. An easy gauge to use is A = (1/2)B x r, as mentioned in Goldstein's Classical Mechanics. It is important to verify that curl[A] does indeed equal B.
jezse
magnetic flux density B for an infinitely long cylindrical conductor of radius b is know:

inside: B = (Mu*R*I)/(2*pi*b^2), R<b

outside: B = (Mu*I)/(2*pi*R^2), R>=b

I need to determine the vector magnetic potential A using only the relation B = curl A (del X A)

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course, the vector potential A is not unique, owing to gauge invariance of physical fields. Thus, you can use any gauge you wish, and an easy one to use is the one in which:

A=(1/2)Bxr

I got this from Goldstein, Classical Mechanics. I can't remember if I got the order of B and r correct, you should verify that curl[A] does indeed equal B.

Using the definition of curl, we can write:

curl A = (1/R)*(d/dR)(R*A)

Since we know B = curl A, we can substitute in the expressions for B inside and outside the conductor:

For R<b: (Mu*R*I)/(2*pi*b^2) = (1/R)*(d/dR)(R*A)
Solving for A, we get:

A = (Mu*I*R/2)*(ln(R/b))/(pi*b^2) + C1

For R>=b: (Mu*I)/(2*pi*R^2) = (1/R)*(d/dR)(R*A)
Solving for A, we get:

A = (Mu*I*R/2)*(1/R + C2)

Where C1 and C2 are integration constants. Therefore, we can determine the vector magnetic potential A for both inside and outside the conductor using only the given relationship B = curl A.

1. What is the meaning of "curl A" in the equation "Know B, find A from B = curl A"?

The term "curl A" refers to the curl of vector A, which is a measure of the rotation of the vector field. In other words, it represents how much the vector field is spinning at a particular point.

2. How is "curl A" calculated?

The curl of a vector field A is calculated using the del operator (∇) and the cross product (∧) as follows: curl A = ∇ ∧ A. This operation results in a new vector that represents the direction and magnitude of the rotation at each point in the vector field.

3. What is the significance of finding A from B = curl A?

Finding A from B = curl A is important in vector calculus as it allows us to determine the original vector field A from its curl. This is useful in various applications, such as in fluid dynamics and electromagnetism, where the curl of a vector field is a key quantity in understanding the behavior of the system.

4. Can "curl A" be negative or complex?

Yes, the curl of a vector field A can be negative or complex. This is because the result of the operation curl A = ∇ ∧ A is a vector, and vectors can have both negative and complex components depending on the values of the original vector field.

5. How is "curl A" related to the divergence of A?

The curl of a vector field A and the divergence of A are related through the 3-dimensional version of the Maxwell's equations. Specifically, the curl of A represents the rotational component of the vector field, while the divergence of A represents the expansion or contraction of the field. In some cases, the two quantities may be linked through the concept of solenoidal fields, where the divergence is zero and the curl is non-zero.