Poynting theorem and electromagnetic density

In summary, the Poynting theorem states that the energy density entering into the equation for the total field generated by a charge or source is only that due to the fields generated by the charge or source itself.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
I am a little confused with the Poynting theorem https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poynting's_theorem .
When we use this equation, the energy density that enters in $$\partial u / \partial t$$ is the one due only to the fields generated by charges/source itself? That is, if we have a magnetic field generated by a current varying in time, it will produce an induced electric field. So, ##U## will be ##U = B^2 / 2 \mu## or ##U = B^2 / 2 \mu + \epsilon E^2 /2##?

I am asking because i was doing this exercise: "A time-dependent current, ##I = I(t) = I_{0} t##, flows through the coils of an infinitely long, cylindrical solenoid. The solenoid has radius a and n turns per unit length." And i have noticed that the flux of the poyting vector will account only for the variation of the magnetic energy density.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both the electric and magnetic fields are generated by the source. Maxwell’s equations are linear.

Orodruin said:
Both the electric and magnetic fields are generated by the source. Maxwell’s equations are linear.
With generated by the source i mean generated by charge and current density.

LCSphysicist said:
With generated by the source i mean generated by charge and current density.
Yes? As opposed to?

Orodruin said:
Yes? As opposed to?
I think i understand what you are talking about. But if so, why the electric energy density does not enter on the calculation $$\partial u / \partial t + \nabla . \vec S = 0 $$ inside the solenoid?

LCSphysicist said:
I think i understand what you are talking about. But if so, why the electric energy density does not enter on the calculation $$\partial u / \partial t + \nabla . \vec S = 0 $$ inside the solenoid?
Who says it doesn’t?

Orodruin said:
Who says it doesn’t?
$$B = \mu n i$$
$$2 \pi r E = \pi r^2 \partial B / \partial t$$
$$E = \mu r n \partial i/ \partial t / 2$$

$$U_b = \pi r^2 h (\mu n i)^2 /2 \mu$$
$$\partial U_b / \partial t = \frac{\pi r^2 h (\mu n)^2 i \partial i / \partial t}{\mu}$$

$$|S . da| = \frac{2 \pi r^2 h (\mu n )^2 i \partial i/ \partial t}{2 \mu} = \frac{\pi r^2 h (\mu n )^2 i \partial i/ \partial t}{\mu} $$

Never mind, just realized that it is because the current is linear on time... Oh god damn it

1. What is the Poynting theorem?

The Poynting theorem is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between the flow of energy and the electromagnetic field. It states that the rate of change of electromagnetic energy in a given volume is equal to the negative of the divergence of the Poynting vector, which represents the flow of electromagnetic energy per unit area.

2. How is the Poynting theorem related to electromagnetic density?

The Poynting theorem is directly related to electromagnetic density, as it describes the flow of electromagnetic energy per unit area. This energy flow is determined by the electric and magnetic fields, which make up the electromagnetic density. The greater the electromagnetic density in a given volume, the more energy is being transferred through that volume.

3. What is the significance of the Poynting theorem in electromagnetism?

The Poynting theorem is significant because it provides a mathematical expression for the conservation of energy in electromagnetic systems. It allows us to understand how energy is transferred through electromagnetic fields and how it is conserved. This theorem is also used in many practical applications, such as the design of antennas and the calculation of power in electrical circuits.

4. How is the Poynting theorem derived?

The Poynting theorem is derived from Maxwell's equations, which are a set of fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. By manipulating these equations, we can arrive at the Poynting theorem, which is a statement of energy conservation in electromagnetic systems.

5. Can the Poynting theorem be applied to all electromagnetic fields?

Yes, the Poynting theorem can be applied to all electromagnetic fields, regardless of their strength or frequency. This is because it is based on Maxwell's equations, which are valid for all electromagnetic phenomena. However, in some cases, the Poynting theorem may need to be modified to account for certain factors, such as non-linear materials or time-varying fields.